COABE Adult Educator Resources Searchable Database

Colleagues,

Quite a few professional development resources have now been uploaded to the new, free COABE Educator Resources online searchable database at http://adultedresource.coabe.org/ There are many resources that were presentation slides or handouts from the recent COABE conference in Denver, and a few professional development video links that I have uploaded, and perhaps others. You can browse them all or look at them by category: Mathematics/numeracy, reading, writing, science etc. 

I noticed that so far I haven't seen any ratings for these resources. I encourage you to visit the database, to rate the resources you look at, and to add your own resources: lesson plans, videos, apps, conference presentations, professional development resources and more. This could be a terrific resource collection for our field, even better if users rate the resources. 

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Well, I tried to comment but oh, I wasn't logged in yet.  SO I clicked on the link That says "log in" which took me to the home page that informed me that I wasn't eligible ot make comments because I'm not logged in.  So I found that link and clicked it and put in my complicated password and got back to the home page so I still had to wade back to this page and refresh so  I could make comments. 

A "Click to log in" button should, in my humble opinion, direct a user to (my goodness!!!)  a ... wait for it ... place where I can log in.   It would also be like a reasonable expectation  (and not impossible -- www.teamestrogen.com 's forum has done it for over a decade) if logging in then directed the user back to the page they were on... 

The comment?  That I went to COABE and I guess the same people did their web design.   I clicked on what looked like it might be a useful resource and got an abstract, with no resource.   I *was* able to comment about that!  Then I looked *all over* the page and saw a log in thing and thought that maybe I had to log in to actually get access to the materials, which is something that should be proclaimed if it's true.   I went through the same "you need a symbol and a number in your password" schtick and then was informed that I would have to confirm my subscription. WHen I tried to do that I was told my activation code was wrong.   

So... I'd be glad to be an active participant -- but the roadblocks make that a challenge. 

Sorry to hear you had such difficulties, Susan.

I wrote some directions that worked for me. I hope they work for others.

1. On http://adultedresource.coabe.org/ select the Register Now! Button at the upper right.
  2. Complete your Registration information. (Note: for the password you need a minimum of five characters, case sensitive, including one number and one symbol.) Record your user ID and password where you can find it.
  3. Check your email to activate your account. Just click on the link in the email message. It will bring you back to the Teacher Resources web page.
  4. Log in with your user ID and password.
  5. Choose a resource and look at it.
  6. Go back to the page that described the resource. Choose “Comment” to comment and “Rate this Resource” to rate it.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Colleagues,

The COABE Educator Resources online database is growing, and several of the resources have now been rated by users. http://adultedresource.coabe.org/ You can find slide presentations from the COABE 2015 conference, as well as several other professional development resources. There are resources in: business, career pathways, citizenship, digital and computer literacy, mathematics/numeracy,reading, science, social studies, soft skills, and writing. Other categories await their first resource. While you're there, you can rate the resources.

• Have you visited the COABE Educator Resources database?
  • Have you considered sharing your own resources there? You can add your lesson plans, teaching videos and lesson handouts.
  • Have you shared information about this free collection of adult education resources with your colleagues?  For example, are you involved in a project in which teachers produce teaching and learning resources for adult learners? Could it be a place to disseminate those resources to other adult education teachers?
  • Do you have suggestions for improving the database?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hello David

Thanks for reminding us of the COABE resources database!  I wanted to let you know that I am listing the database as a resource in the (new!) online Virginia Adult Educator Certification Course for Instructors (ABE and ESOL), which will be offered in the fall.  As part of the course, teachers create a block of instruction that aligns to a pathway(s) for adult learners.  The database of materials provides teachers with resources and ideas they can incorporate into the online coursework and their classrooms. 

I also subscribed to the database to be kept up to date on new materials when added.  I love that feature!

Thank you!

Susan in Virginia