Making etexts LD accessible?

Going to post this and then ... force myself back into thinking about my presentation tomorrow at our Faculty Summer Institute conference. 

So at the end of the day I talked to a poster session guy b/c my friend was helping with that poster session, not because I know anything about etexts or need to. 

Except when he found out I have an LD background he stopped me and said "we want to figure otu ways to make texts accessible to people with learning disabilities." 

I'm thinking "heck if I know! Stuff you have for the blind to turn text into speech..."   but then I get on the bicycle to ride home. 

I'm already thinking "organize the ideas"   "include study helps and ways for students to generate their own study materials." 

"Make a bubble map of the big ideas, even do it Prezi style so students can see there are four sections... zoom in on one and it's got five branches, etc.... 

Animated gifs for flashcards. 

Conceptual frontloading.   HOw could conceptual frontloading be done for ... oh, you know, a regular course like computer science?   (Because I thought of that term based on the way Dave Bock taught us all about how primitive and non-primitive variables are stored, with that whole concept of "pointing" even though he never called them pointers, with all kinds of visuals and concrete metaphors... geez, can you imagine a textbook that *had* possible metaphors and you could choose one to make as your study guide?)   (because isn't that half of what's missing in most texts?   They just do the literal stuff, not the "hey here's how to actually understand it!" stuff?) 

And I'm thinking I need to email my LD expert associates  , and ask them about that. 

Except that ... it's 7:43  8:02 and I have to present again 10:00 tomorrow.   "I move to table the motion to re-invent the e-text to support learning disabled students."  "Motion seconded by your fingers."   All in favor... 

Okay, that was my blog post -- and maybe the guy just wants quick adn easy... but *just maybe* he's willing to really explore.   

Comments

Hi, Disabilities In Adult Education Community -

Susan, thanks for sharing your interaction with the poster presenter at your conference, as well as your thoughts after the fact.  Your ideas and timing couldn't be better!  

“The Google Impact Challenge: Disabilities” recently announced that it is offering up $20 million to nonprofits “using emerging technologies to increase independence for people living with disabilities.”  

What's even better is that Google is looking for your ideas to start exploring and creating greater accessibility for all types of disabilities.  “The Google Impact Challenge: Disabilities will seek out nonprofits and help them find new solutions to some serious ‘what ifs’ for the disabled community. We will choose the best of these ideas and help them to scale by investing in their vision, by rallying our people and by mobilizing our resources in support of their missions,” according to Jacquelline Fuller, director of Google.org - the charitable arm of Google.

Share your ‘What If’ to help get your insights in front of problem solvers - arguably the best and brightest minds in technology.  Follow this link to submit your idea to Google, and keep sharing them here as well.  The more Google hears from us, the more likely these ideas are to be considered for consideration.

Best,

Mike

michaelcruse74@gmail.com