A 6-point checklist for creating online visuals

More and more instructors, even "non-techies," are developing their own instructional visuals for students. Although this site is directed at businesses, the points are well taken. I implement these a lot in training teachers to deliver instruction online or through live-video conferencing.

I know that I am delighted with new online tools and other computer applications that make it easier for us to create segments that before were only possible for pros to produce! We know what is said about one picture compared to  many words, especially among the predominantly visual learners in our adult ed programs! I would love to hear what others are using to create different types of visual media for instruction.

http://bit.ly/1M4Gf0V

Leecy

Comments

Thanks for this, Leecy. Short and sweet, the way I like articles. The rule of thirds was definitely a new concept for me and it was nice to be reminded of the other pointers. I will be applying them to any ppt presentations I create since I mostly use visuals for those. I think it insults people's intelligence, as well as wasted their time, to read slides to people during a presentation. I use photographs (taken from google images usually) to illustrate the concept or point I'm talking about. I haven't had much time to experiment with other things although I know they are out there. I hope to get some ideas from what my colleagues in the COP share.

Di, thanks for your comments on PPT misuse, which is what gives that outstanding tool such a bad name! My view matches yours. If you are going to talk about it, don't repeat the text on PPT! In fact, in presentations, I find that using the shortcut Shift+B is one of the most useful tools to get students or other participants to pay attention to me instead of the slide!

You mentioned using Google images, so I'll share what I have recently learned about that resource. I am a real advocate of OER (Open Ed Resources). So I enter a topic into Google Images. Many images are copyrighted. HOWEVER, if I click on the little gear icon to the upper right, I have options. I select "Advanced Search." Then I scroll down to the bottom choice, "usage rights." Ohhhh yeah. I select, "Free to use, share, or modify, even commercially." And up comes a list of images that I can use in any way I want, with attribution, of course. Very cool!

I hope others will join us here with additional "pearls of wisdom" to enhance the way we enhance reading and writing skills through visual means! Like you, " I hope to get some ideas from what my colleagues in the COP share." Leecy