“Opening Our Mathematical Eyes” Conference with Diversity Addressed

Please follow the link below for information on the exciting conference, "“Opening Our Mathematical Eyes: Seeing Math in Everything We Do." The conference will be held in Alexandria, VA, Sunday, July 12, 2015 to Wednesday, July 15, 2015.

http://www.alm-online.net/home/alm-22-conference-page/

In this ALA (Adults Learning Mathematics), international thought leaders in numeracy/mathematics will convene around key discussion topics, including the following:

(1)    Adult numeracy concepts, theories, and practice
(2)    Science, Engineering, Technology, and Mathematics (STEM)
(3)    Numeracy and diversity - Notice the diversity among keynote speakers as well by clicking on the right-column link, “Keyote Speakers.”
(4)    Numeracy and literacy
(5)    Numeracy and the workforce

There is still a call for Presentations. Why not submit a proposal, especially within the topic of Numeracy and Diversity?

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Diversity and Literacy Community

Comments

Leecy,

Thank you for posting this information about the upcoming ALM conference.  I plan on attending and will be posting on Twitter about the events and information that is being shared.  This is a great opportunity for all of us to learn from our international colleagues in the field of Adult Numeracy.

Brooke
Moderator, Math and Numeracy,
Financial Literacy, & Correctional Education
istasb@cowley.edu

I so agree, Brooke. Since many of us can't attend, I hope and others here who do attend will consider a short write up on what you learned at this conference. Speaking of international colleagues, when I moved to the US, I really struggled with long division since the position of the divisor and dividend were reversed in the US. Such little things can really be challenging sometimes!

I wonder if others here can add other examples of similar challenges. Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Diversity and Literacy,
Reading and Writing