Student Anxiety and Writing

Cynthia Zaftt just passed on this article for us to consider here. Everyone knows about math anxiety. How about writing or, simply, general anxiety as a real issue in student achievement? If you take the poll this week, you will notice that on the list of issues posted. (A couple of you, Anne and Jane, have completed the poll. Hope others will follow suit!)

John Warner, author, says, "Increasingly, I think there’s a barrier I haven’t previously considered that needs addressing if my students are going to succeed: anxiety.

"As reported by Jan Hoffman in The New York Times, the national survey of the American College Health Association finds that 1 of every 6 college students have been diagnosed or treated for anxiety within the last 12 months."

Mr. Warners continues, "I believe that writing courses are perhaps ideally positioned to address these issues." He follows with eight propositions on implementing writing practices to overcome anxiety and considers additional practices to add to the list.

You may access the full article on the Insider ED blog at http://bit.ly/1M0FGET.

How about it? Any comments from you pros out there? Do you recognize and deal with anxiety among all levels of adult ed?  Have you implemented practices that work to ease student anxiety? Do diverse students deal more with this issue than those who "fit the mold" better? Leecy

Leecy Wise

Moderator, Reading and Writing Community
Moderator, Diversity and Literacy Community

Comments

Based on what I've heard teachers say and on my own experiences, most of our adult students would rather do anything than write. Research shows that learning can't take place if the learner is experiencing fear. When I do PD on writing, I tell teachers that one of the first things that will help students be better writers is to build their fluency and confidence. One way to do this is to introduce writing territories: Writing Territories (from Nancie Atwell - Lessons that Change Writers) can be anything in our lives that can be used as story ideas.  This can be  family, events, achievements, wishes & dreams, passionate ideas, places, fears, or songs. Things that are real (meaning they come alive) hold more possibilities for richer writing than those one time stories. These starting points can be added to the list throughout the year.

Yes students are expected to be able to write for postsecondary and the workplace but getting them started by having them write about what they know and teaching skills in that context seems to me a good way to get them ready for those more academic tasks. 

Out of the 8 very good ideas from the article, these are the ones that resonated most with me:

1. Students should write more because the more you write, the less anxiety you experience about writing. Also, the more you write, the better you get at writing.

4.  Not all writing is equal, but all writing matters.

7.  Students write best when they’re writing about things they’re interested in or care about.

Writing Territories sounds like a great resources for teachers working with students in overcoming a resistance to writing.  However, whether it's reading or writing that produces anxiety in our students, it is important to distinguish between what may be a disability, and what is simply a fact of many peoples' everyday life.

The Equal Opportunity and Employment Commission's Enforcement Guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and Psychiatric Disabilities notes that, "The Americans with Disabilities Act rule defines "mental impairment" to include "[a]ny mental or psychological disorder, such as . . . emotional or mental illness.  Six examples of "emotional or mental illness[es]" include major depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders (which include panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder), schizophrenia, and personality disorders." 

While only a medical or psychological professional can diagnose anxiety disorders, we, as educators, should be aware of the signs and symptoms of when students' anxiety is so great, that it may be considered a disability. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) provides information about anxiety that can help you identify what may be clinically significant signs of a disability.  Additionally, the ADAA has an excellent resource of mobile apps that may be used by anyone experiencing anxiety to try and help manage their symptoms.

What are other resources that teachers use to help students learn to manage feelings of anxiety associated with their education?

Best,

Mike

Disabilities in Adult Education Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com

Thanks, Di and Mike, for expanding on this topic with excellent resources and suggestions.

Mike, you said, "While only a medical or psychological professional can diagnose anxiety disorders, we, as educators, should be aware of the signs and symptoms of when students' anxiety is so great, that it may be considered a disability."

You are right that we are not in the position to diagnose. In fact, programs can get into deep trouble doing that. However, as we perceive anxiety as a significant impediment to learning, whether it is a "disability" or not, what are some quick and easy ways to help students overcome anxiety, especially in writing?

I'll give the list a start and encourage others to add to it. If you have been following any of the initial posts I shared, you can predict what my successful tip on immediately reducing anxiety: humor. Laughter breaks down huge barriers. When we are laughing, we are learning!

Your turn! Leecy

OK, at the risk of sounding new agey, music and guided relaxation. Starting with small, short tasks that build success, for example quick writes. Teaching students how to talk positively to themselves.

Who's next? I know you're out there. I can hear you breathing :)

Di, I agree that the emotional dimension is hugely important. I think it's hard for us teachers and researchers to imagine the real and ongoing emotional impact of having low literacy skills in a society that expects them. Incidentally, there's a great portrayal of an older man who lost his literacy skills as a boy in a book by Murakami, "Kafka on the Shore" - highly recommend!  I also want to mention that the Self-Regulated Strategy Development (SRSD) method includes a self-regulation technique of self-talk and self-praise, which could be useful to students as they are working on their skills. Nothing like skills to make them feel less anxious, and acknowledging this through targeted self-praise could help them.

Hmmmm, Dolores. Might your suggestion go on a list of possible books to be considered for a future Book Club? Here's the wikipedea description of the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafka_on_the_Shore . I will soon be adding other suggestions here for either a Book Club or a Movie Club as this community develops. Both sound inviting to me. Any other suggestions out there?

For those who would like a deeper description on the SRSD method and its amazing success, go to a nice description of the approach.

"A large body of research demonstrates that strategy instruction can be effective for improving writing, andfor boosting learners’ planning, editing, and overallwritten product quality." (Article in Teaching Excellence in Adult Literacy: https://teal.ed.gov/sites/default/files/Fact-Sheets/10_TEAL_Self_Reg_Strat_Dev_0.pdf.

Great ideas. More, more! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Diversity and Literacy and
Reading and Writing Communities

I loved the book Kafka on the Shore and am a huge fan of Murakami in general - yes, I think it would be an interesting choice for a LINCS reading & writing book club if only to stir up conversation of perceptions of low literate adults (their own and others' perceptions).

Re: Hmmmm, Dolores. Might your suggestion go on a list of possible books to be considered for a future Book Club? Here's the wikipedea description of the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafka_on_the_Shore . I will soon be adding other suggestions here for either a Book Club or a Movie Club as this community develops. Both sound inviting to me. Any other suggestions out there?

I see several on the list that I would love to read or reread. I'm game for disucssing a video, too. I'd like to add a book to the list, Uncommon Reader. This novella sends Queen Elizabeth II into a mobile library van in pursuit of her runaway corgis and into the reflective, observant life of an avid reader. The queen gradually loses interest in her endless succession of official duties and learns the pleasure of such a common activity. With the dawn of her sensibility... mistaken for the onset of senility, plots are hatched by the prime minister and the queen's staff to discourage the queen's preoccupation with books. Ultimately, it is her own growing self-awareness that leads her away from reading and toward writing, with astonishing results.

As a I read this article I thought about many activities that we do in my class to try and alleviate the anxiety surrounding writing activities.  Out of the 8 ideas, one really stuck out for me.  Number 1 said:  Students should write more because the more you write, the less anxiety you experience about writing.  Also, the more you write, the better you get at writing.  An activity I do in my class to try and achieve this is free writing.  Every other Friday, I have the children write as much as they can and increase the amount of time every time we do the activity.  When we first started the kids wrote for 1 minute, and we increased a minute each time.  The goal is to increase stamina, confidence, comfort level, and overall writing skill.  I tell the kids that these writings are private and you are welcome to write whatever you want but you need to always have a pencil to the paper while the writing time is happening.  I have seen a lot of positive feedback by doing this activity, writing no longer seems like a chore to some kids, but something they actually enjoy.

Hi, Jamie. It's great to hear your voice among us! You make perfect points in describing how skills are acquired. You say that your kids are actually enjoying writing instead of dreading it as a task. I think key to having that happen is that the writing is private. I know that my adult students also went from fear and anxiety (Oh, no. I have to write!) to actually sometimes coming to class a bit early just to start writing in ways that you proposed since I had them write during the first 2-3 minutes of class.

Has anyone else tried this idea? How would it work for low-level ABE students? Leecy

Leecy Wise

I was drawn to this thread because of the word ‘anxiety’. I am always anxious with writing task. I still remember when I was doing my undergrad studies, I took the whole duration from the time the assignment was given to the time it was due to write. During exams, I would take the whole 3 hours allocated to write and I wouldn’t even request for extra papers. I was jealous of my friends who could write so much in such a short period of time. Now that I am teaching, I sometimes forgot how it feels like to be anxious when writing.

I especially like 3 of the propositions made by Mr. Warner:

2. Orienting the stakes of writing exclusively around grades adjudicated by the instructor likely increases anxiety and reduces quality. 

5. Practicing rigor in writing is important, but rigor is not synonymous with length, or complexity, or even the amount of time spent on the writing

7. Students write best when they’re writing about things they’re interested in or care about. 

The biggest challenges for writing in my students' case are poor language proficiency and limited background knowledge. They are in secondary school and a lot of the types of writing require them to write outside of their immediate context or comfort zone. For example, they have to write about current issues like recycling, gangsterism and global warming. They are village people, some of them hail from families who are seafarers and sea gypsies. Imagine asking them to write about all these topics. No amount of anchoring (new information to existing schemata) seem useful because these issues are totally new to them. They have to construct a new schemata to fit in all this information. 

I really like what Jamie is doing with her students - free writing. I should do that with my students (in fact, I should try it too). The students in my class didn’t always get to choose what to write about, except in preparation for oral or spoken activities which normally involved topics familiar to them such as food, hobbies, and dreams. Because their English proficiency is low, they cannot speak impromptu so I allowed them to prepare a script beforehand. Even though it’s technically not a writing task, the students enjoyed it because they can write about things they were comfortable with and they were excited to share a little bit about themselves to their classmates. Plus, their writing was not graded so they were not too concerned about getting it right. They were more concerned about getting it across. However, I corrected their drafts and made them rewrite the ‘script’ 2 or 3 times more to ensure quality writing (and consequently speaking). 

While I really like the idea of just having students freely write for a specific amount of time, most of my student don't know where to begin. What I use in my classroom to get my student to write is "The Idiom of the Week" I have a book of idioms that I choose from and write one on the board. I have the students write what they think the idiom means and then we discuss their answers. After we discuss their thoughts, I then explain the actual meaning and we discuss vocabulary if needed. The next thing we do is write a paragraph applying the idiom to a real life situation. I tell the student that it does not have to be a personal experience , but one that could happen. Volunteers share their stories, which most times is a personal experience. This gives the students practice writing, using critical thinking, reading out loud and we get to know each other better through shared experiences. The last idiom we wrote about was "Ignorance is Bliss". I shared my experience of having a daughter study in Ecuador for three months. I was so happy for her to have this experience until I learned that she was staying in a "room" out in back of the family's house with a stray dog she had found. Talk about anxiety!

I was drawn to Di and Dr. Perin's comments about incorporating self-talk into writing instruction as a strategy for reducing anxiety in the classroom.  It is important to empower all learners to see themselves as writers, and I have found self-statements to be a great way to do this, particularly with students who lack confidence.  I appreciated Warner’s solution 6, ¨Experimentation and failure as a method of practice should be encouraged and valued.”  I think it is valuable to recognize that writing is a work in progress, and to help students incorporate this language into their self-statements.

And speaking of self-talk, Alison and others who have mentioned it here, the following short (2 pp) article, from The Hypnotism Society of Pennsylvania, briefly discusses "Self-Hypnosis Tips for Testing Anxiety," with five helpful steps. The same technique could be easily applied to pre-writing practices. Though some resist the mention of hypnosis, it is important to consider that in this context, the "self-talk" is simply a way to relax the mind so that it can support performance.

http://www.hypnopa.com/Self%20Hypnosis%20for%20Test%20Anxiety.pdf - "Testing anxiety is a common obstacle for almost all students, even those who study a lot. The root cause of anxiety is in the subconscious mind not in the conscious mind. Students can analyze and rationalize their test-taking anxieties, but without changing one’s perception and beliefs, there will always be some nervousness that will impact a student’s testing achievement.

Leecy Wise

I'm just finishing up facilitating a course with adult educators that spends a fair amount of time on stress, its effect on learning, and methods of managing anxiety.  One participant described having a stop light that she posts on the wall at the start of the semester.  It is titled "Frustrated?"  Then, the red light is labeled Stop, the yellow light is labeled Breathe, and the green light is labeled Think.  When the class or individuals are getting frustrated and anxious, she walks over and points to the red portion...down to yellow....down to green.  I'll pass on the link to the test anxiety article and let everyone know about the discussion.  They will truly appreciate the article.

Cynthia

Moderator Health Literacy and Postsecondary Completion

Love it, Cynthia!

Let's hear about more successful practices. We all know that anxiety at the root of most, if not all, under-performance. Think about how anxiety has contributed to your own inability to do your best. Cite examples and suggestions as to how to overcome this very prominent and pervasive human characteristics.  More, more!

Thanks one and all! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Reading and Writing, and
Diversity and Literacy Communities

Dear Colleagues:

This is a shout out to Mary Lynn Carver, ABE/GED Faculty and Department Chair at College of Lake County in Illinois.  She is the originator of the stoplight example above.  I'm hoping she will find her way to this discussion to talk more about it.

Cynthia