Call for Responses!

To date, three members, Anne, Jane, and David, have completed the short poll, designed to have you express your opinions so that we can expand our group discussions around the topic of writing. Thank you! Earlier in this group, a similar poll was posted on reading. Let's hear your thoughts on writing. Please take time to click on the Poll tab in your online group page, and complete the poll, adding additional comments that we can later share in the discussion group.

Below is a list of questions that I have been emailing to members to encourage more participation.  Where are you? This group needs your participation and interaction.

In the meantime, for those who are not yet receiving the emails, I am posting the questions asking for your responses, which will drive our discussions in the next few months.

Take a few minutes today and become an active member! We need your voice!

Thank you. Leecy

Comments

Hello - a few answers:

Group Participation

1.         What motivated you to join this Reading and Writing CoP?

-This is a great idea and I am interested in learning of others' ideas, especially those of teachers working with adults.
2.         How do you perceive your role in this CoP? 

- Learning from others and posting occasionally.
3.         What topics interest you the most?

- The topic I'm interested in most right now is overlaps in two populations - students in adult literacy programs and in college developmental education. I wonder about similarities and differences in  their educational needs.
4.         What area of expertise are you willing to share with the group?

- Familiarity with research on reading and writing of adults with low skills.
5.         Would you like to participate in a book club related to this community? If so, what book(s) would you suggest as a focus?

-Sorry but I have  no time to do this.
6.         Would you like to have a guest speaker or a panel on occasion to address a specific topic in our discussion?

-Yes,  good idea. I suggest a researcher such as Charles A. MacArthur who has done interesting writing interventions using Self-Regulated Strategy Development (SRSD) with both adult basic education and college developmental education students. The results have been good.

7.         If so, what topic or issue would you like to have addressed? Please share any resource that you recommend based on your experience to enhance reading or writing acquisition     

CoP Management
1.         Have you signed up to receive daily digests of postings in this group? If not, would you like for me to send you instructions on how to do that?

--The digests are great but honestly, I am getting too many of them (24 hour for several groups). I suggest compiling in a weekly digest. That would feel more manageable.

2.         Have you explored the LINCS Learning Portal and Resource Collection? If not, would you like for me to send you instructions on how to take advantage of those areas? 

--Are there documents posted in the Reading and Writing group? I did not see any through the link.

3.         What questions do you have about how to participate in discussions? I will be glad to send you more information or tutorials in that regard.   

Thank you for all your efforts!

Thanks for responding, Dolores.

• You and Di have made good suggestions for us to pursue further. I like the suggestion to have Charles A. MacArthur  join us for a week or so once we get more members participation. Do the rest of you have additional suggestions for a guest speaker?
  • I'm wondering about your interest in CoP management. Are you referring to LINCS groups of to online CoPs in general?
  • Re the LINCS Collection R&W resources, I'll see what I can post to help us out in that regard.
  • I'll pass on your suggestion of a weekly digest. Won't hurt to ask!

I am compiling the responses I'm getting on these questions, and I'll share them when we have a few more, HOPEFULLY, in the next few days? How about it folks? Let's hear from others. We are a community. Let's start working together. I can't think of a field that promises more creativity in collaborative efforts or play. Leecy

I actually don't recall saying anything about CoP management, and I apologize for any confusion. I did have a suggestion that I mentioned to I-Fang in an e-mail, which was that if there were some way to bunch up LINCS posts on particular topics with a common subject line, it would help us follow a thread. But that is probably off the point.

Re: I'm wondering about your interest in CoP management. Are you referring to LINCS groups of to online CoPs in general?

My bad, Dolores. Sorry. And I am passing on the good suggestion on weekly digests.

Last week, I also posted a request to have your exact suggestion implemented for "some way to bunch up LINCS posts on particular topics with a common subject line..." I think that change would make it much easier for us to keep up with comments that are relevant to specific topics or posts. Much obliged! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Reading and Writing, and
Diversity and Literacy Communities