Trainee Program

Hello,

I got the chance to speak to youths about health literacy. But at first I have to create a program for the school guide. If the youths will find the course interesting, the vocational school will call me to teach them (for 2 or 4 ours).

Youths and Health Literacy - not in Austria.

Which topics can I provide now? What is cool for them? Can somebody share some experiences with me? Has somebody a good idea?

If I speak to older people - they love the topic about health myths.

Sorry, for my bad English.

Comments

Hi Alexander:

It sounds like you are looking for workshop topics that appeal to youth.  Is that right?  Would you say a bit more about the students, especially their age and anything you know about their health interests.  I think the Health Literacy group members can help you out.

Here are some ideas that I have. The Center for Disease Control has identified topics for school settings on their web site,  Adolescent and School Health, and the Academy of Pediatrics has a Healthy Children -- Teens page.  The topics include dating and sex, fitness, nutrition, driving safety, substance abuse, etc. A topic that I didn't see, which might make for a good workshop, is evaluating health and wellness information you find on the internet.  For that, you might want to look at Health Information and the Internet, Who Can You Trust? It is listed in the LINCS Health Literacy Resource Collection and focuses on youth.  It has several activities that might work.

If you will be developing a longer course, you might want to take a look at other publications in the Health Literacy Collection:  The Science Inside Staying Healthy (for English language learners), Health Literacy in the Adult Basic Education Curriculum:  Designing Lessons, Units and Evaluation Plans for Integrated Instruction

Have others in the Health Literacy group put together health literacy workshops for youth?  What did you present on?  How did it work?

Cynthia

Cynthia Zafft, Health Literacy Moderator

Hello Cynthia,

thanks for your fast answer. Something about the students? Not easy, as I know at the moment they are between 15 and 19 years old and from different schools - so it is hard to provide one program description for all because they all have other preferences (technicians, bricklayers, ...). I spoke today with a teacher who is working with students like this -he told me, they only want to hear something about party, lifestyle, money, bodybuilding ... topics for the youth. Heatlh and searching for health information is not important for them. At first I have to write some line for the guide - they must be an eye-catcher.

What to think about a competition? At first some information about health literacy. Later we build two teams and then they have to solve some health related tasks. They can use their smartphones and everything else. Which tasks? .... 1. Search on Facebook for health information, 2. What is the meaning of a medical term? 3. health myth - yes or no? 4. Sugar in coke? ....

Learning by doing. At the end we speak about the findings. I believe more is not possible for me in the short time.

Thanks for helping me.

Alex

(You can follow me and my work on Facebook - Health Literacy Checkpoint Austria - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Health-Literacy-Checkpoint-Austria/428003357271341?ref=ts&fref=ts)

Hi Alex:

It sounds like it would appeal to young adults.  What do others think?

From the comment on finances, I thought of one more LINCS Health Literacy Resource:  Small Steps to Health and Wealth™  It is actually a website that focuses on wellness and financial fitness.  It is designed for more long-term, behavior change activities and is written at a fairly high level but you might find some interesting worksheets and content information for the workshop. 

Cynthia