Worforce readiness Edtech tools

Are any of you using workforce readiness curriculum or tools? I’m especially interested in educational technologies or online tools.

Comments

Hi, Richard -

Thanks for posting your question to the community.  Would you tell us more about what aspects of workforce readiness you are interested in connecting with ed tech?  What type of program population are you currently serving?  Are you focusing on specific industries, or looking for more general information that can be applied across career fields?  At what point in the career exploration - workforce readiness continuum do you envision using this tech with your learners? 

One suggestion I have is to check out MyNextMove.org, a partner of The American Job Center Network.  MyNextMove provides freely accessible career exploration resources to support learners in matching their interests with the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) of related careers.  It also includes information on educational and technology requirements, as well as state level and national employment outlook information.

This is a good entry point, but there are also other relevant resources out there, depending on your population, and the specific goals for how you want to use technology as part of your workforce readiness program.  Let us know more, and I'm sure we can help guide you to other available resources.

Best,

Mike

michaelcruse74@gmail.com

Career Pathways Moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your informative response. I am doing a scan of the available Edtech tools that are helping learners develop employablility or "soft" skills. The scan is fairly broad in scope because I am creating a comprehensive list of these tools. Therefore, any and all suggestions would be welcome.

I appreciate your suggestions! I will definetely take a look at those.

Best,

Richard

Richard, and others,

The Adult Literacy Education (ALE) Wiki has a workforce readiness curricula page at http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Work_Readiness . It also has large (although not recently updated) sections on workforce development and workplace education that you can reach from http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Workforce,_Workplace_and_Worker_Education  Because this is a wiki, if you know of other information or resources that should be added, you can register (you have to request an Adult Educator Code) and then add in the information yourself. Alternatively, you could email it to me, and I may be able to add it for you.

The ALE Wiki needs a topic leader for this area, someone who is interested, as a volunteer, in cleaning out old links and adding in new information. If you are interested, please let me know.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi David,

Thanks for contributing to the discussion. The ALE wiki has some great resources on it. I would be happy to recommend any additions to the wiki pages if and when I come across anything. In terms of curricula we are focusing on Edtech tools that are developing employability skills that are in the Employability Skills Framework developed by US ED. You can take a look at the framework here: http://cte.ed.gov/employabilityskills/index.php/developingskills/overview

Thanks so much for your comments and please contribute more if you think of anything else.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard, Mike,

Richard, welcome to the LINCS Community! Thanks for posting your very interesting question. Will you share the list of EdTech tools you compile, here with us? That may help to get the ball rolling and others may have some to add.

Mike, thanks so much for sharing mynextmove.org. I haven't seen that one before and I've forwarded it on to my coteacher. I like the user-friendly interface and the breakdown by KSAs, personality, and technology use. We've been using the Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/ . I like it because one can search by education level and projected growth rates, learn about the job's duties, information on similar jobs, etc.

(Out of curiosity, I searched "Adult Literacy and HSE Diploma Teachers":  http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/adult-literacy-and-ged-teachers.htm. I wonder if it is accurate to others' experiences as adult educators..)

Cheers!

Jackie Taylor

Evidence-based Professional Development and

Science COP Moderator

I would also like to add that we are most interested in tools that are seeking to teach disconnected youth the employability skills required to succeed in the workplace. We are specifically looking at the skills that are in alignment with the Employability Skills Framework.

Hi, Richard -

Another resource that may be worth exploring is Skills USA's Career Readiness Curriculum (CRC).   It is a 27 lesson curriculum incorporating Personal Skills, Workplace Skills and Technical Skills. Skills USA is a national, non-profit partnership of students, teachers and industry representatives working together to develop a skilled workforce. The organization supports teachers, and high school and college students who are preparing for careers in technical, skilled and service occupations. 

The Career Readiness Curriculum is a Skills USA member benefit. The membership cost is reasonable: $14 per year for national dues, plus variable state dues, which you can check here.  You can learn more about other benefits one the Skills USA membership kit website.

Best,

Mike

Career Pathways Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com