2014 Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) Student Application Now Available!

Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (YLF)

This is a exclusive invitation for California high school juniors and seniors who have all different types of disabilities to apply to the California Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (YLF).

Student delegate applications are now available for the 2014 YLF, held July 21-25, 2014 in Sacramento, CA. This program is provided to accepted students with disabilities at no cost to them.

YLF is an annual five day leadership program that provides information and resources about employment, education, independence and assistive technology. YLF is held in Sacramento, and students will stay in the dorms on campus at California State University, Sacramento.

Students will have the opportunity to live on a college campus and join more than 1,200 alumni from across the state that have been a part of this unique program created specifically for young leaders with disabilities. Students who attend YLF make new, life-long friendships and resource connections to help them reach their personal, academic, and career goals.

Alumni of the California Youth Leadership Forum say it has forever changed their lives for the better. Watch their testimonials in the YLF Outreach video: http://vimeo.com/83078880.

Deadline to submit applications: February 28th, 2014.

You can go to www.dor.ca.gov/YLF to download the application (in PDF and accessible Word versions) and the instructions.

*Please remember to read the instructions carefully, there are key points for applying to this year’s YLF. Example, applications must be submitted electronically or may not be accepted. Also, incomplete applications may not be accepted. If you experience any difficulty in filling out this application, we can help you.  Please contact us by email at YLF@dor.ca.gov, by phone at (855) 894-3436, or by relay using 711.

Comments

Love this inspiring youth program.  Here in Oklahoma ours is directed by:

Jenifer Randle, Youth Advocacy & Training Coordinator
Oklahoma Developmental Disabilities Council 
405-521-4964 or  800-836-4470

You'll find the Oklahoma YLF broucher here:  https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#search/jenifer.randle%40okdhs.org+youth+leadership+forum/141a294dedb49417?projector=1

and a You Tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2um_cX04EKE

Information and Requirements 

The Oklahoma Developmental Disabilities Council (ODDC) is pleased to announce the 11th annualOklahoma Youth Leadership Forum (YLF)June 10 - 14, 2014 at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma (USAO) in Chickasha, Oklahoma.  The YLF is a unique career leadership training program for rising high school juniors and seniors with disabilities.   Students from across the state that are selected to attend the YLF will develop important leadership and citizenship skills to assist them in reaching their life and career goals.

Through a competitive statewide process, up to 25 students are selected to represent their communities as delegates at the YLF.  To be eligible to attend the YLF, students must:

• Be in 10th or 11th grade as of December 19, 2013. 
  • Have a documented disability.  We accept applications from any students with any type of disability.  We welcome and have had applications from students with significant learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities and/or mental health diagnosis.
  • Have demonstrated leadership potential in their school and community.
  • Reside in Oklahoma.

Thank you for sharing information on Oklahoma's YLF Marcie! I work closely with Jen Randle on the Assoication of Youth Leadership Forums (AYLF). I am the Chairperson and oversee the implementation of California's model program in various states. I'd be happy to connect anyone interested in YLF to their local state contact person.

Do you have a YLF group in Alaska?  We have organizations that work out of SESA, the special education service unit, to provide local and regional Career Connections Camps, which are great.  I would like to hear more about what other states are doing and whether these activities are available for bush communities in Alaska

Unfortunatley, there does not currently exist a YLF program in Alaska. If you are interested in starting one, please visit our website: http://www.aylf.net/manual.html or send me an email.

LaCandice McCray, M.S.

Chair

Association of Youth Leadership Forums (AYLF)

721 Capitol Mall, 6th Floor

Sacramento, CA  95814

(916) 558-5429

Email: LaCandice.McCray@dor.ca.gov

Unfortunately, there is not currently a YLF program in Mississippi. However, staff from the National Youth Leadership Network (NYLN) is interested in starting one and I will be meeting with them this week. If you'd like additional information, please feel free to contact Cindy Singletary: cindy@nyln.org and you can let her know I referred you.

LaCandice McCray, M.S.

Chair

Association of Youth Leadership Forums (AYLF)

721 Capitol Mall, 6th Floor

Sacramento, CA  95814

(916) 558-5429

Email: LaCandice.McCray@dor.ca.gov