Advantages to Learners of Online, Distance, Hybrid and/or Blended Learning
Submitted by David J. Rosen on April 8, 2017 - 5:00pm
- 492 Views
- 0 Likes
Integrating Technology Colleagues,
This is a new discussion thread, Advantages to Learners of Online, Distance, Hybrid and/or Blended Learning. Let's hear your perspective on the advantages of online, hybrid (face-to-face and online) and/or blended (integrated face-to-face and online) learning for adult basic skills learners (including ESL/ESOL/ELA, numeracy, and from basic literacy up through transition to post-secondary education). I think I know many of the advantages, but perhaps not all of them. Let's together see if we can describe them all. Here are some to get us started:
1. Distance learning offers learners anywhere/anytime asynchronous learning opportunities when they prefer not to, or cannot attend face-to-face classes due to any number of reasons such as lack of classes at times they can attend, difficulty travelling to a class, etc.
2. A wide variety of learning materials, including instructional videos and podcasts, online discussion forums, infographics, webinars, the Google Suite of documents, etc.
3. Learning through the use of portable digital devices such as feature phones, smartphones, tablets, Chromebooks, laptops, etc.
4. Immediate support from a teacher, tutor, mentor or coach by telephone, instant messaging or interactive video support (e.g. join.me) tool
5. Opportunity to practice digital skills useful for other learning, work, or family responsibilities
What's missing, or what would you like to expand upon?
David J. Rosen, Moderator
Integrating Technology CoP