In case you missed it ...
Submitted by Susan Finn Miller on October 8, 2019 - 10:42am
- 334 Views
- 0 Likes
Hello colleagues, Here are some recent interesting threads to check out if you have the time an the inclination.
With regard to vocabulary, we don’t just know words. We know them to varying degrees. In fact, deepening our understanding of how to use words effectively is a life-long effort for all of us! Learners sometimes know words, but they may not always understand how to use those words precisely.
- Join this conversation to add your insights about teaching vocabulary.
- What vocabulary teaching strategies can you recommend?
Check out this thread to discover some apps that teachers and learners have found useful and to share what’s working in your context.
- Some teachers have a rule that students should turn their cell phones off when they enter the classroom.
- What is your stance on the use of cell phones in class?
We know that many immigrants and refugees who come to our classes have limited formal schooling. These learners need specialized instruction focused on foundational reading skills such as phonemic awareness and phonics.
- What techniques for teaching phonemic awareness or phonics to this group of students can you recommend?
- How can teachers address the needs of this group of learners when they are part of a mixed class with others who have a solid educational foundation?
- Do you think it would be a good idea to have a separate class for learners who need to learn how to decode?
Thanks for being a valuable part of our community!
Cheers, Susan Finn Miller
Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP