COABE 2013: sessions on Career Pathways

The 2013 COABE (Commission on Adult Basic Education) is just around the corner, March 24 - 28, in New Orleans.  I hope many of you will be able to attend.  The website for more information is at http://www.coabe.org/conference2013.html.  The session schedule will be on that page soon, but I've seen some of the titles of the sessions that have to do with Career Pathways, and they are tantalizing!  See if you don't agree!

Ideas for Integrating Career Awareness and Planning

Developing Career Pathways Programs for Adults in Reentry: Lessons from Research

Adult Basic Skills and College Pathways

AO-K: Accelerating Opportunities in Kansas

Enhancing Student Opportunities Through Certifications and Career and Technical Education 
Building Benchmarks and Metrics for High Quality Career Pathways: An Adult Education Perspective
Career Pathways 101– Background, Models, Resources

The Transformation Agenda MA Community Colleges and Workforce Development

Developing a Career Lattice Model: Stackable Technical Credentials for Health and Human Services

Are any of the members of the Career Pathways group presenting at COABE this year?  If so, please add to this discussion with more information about your session.  After COABE, we may be able to get copies of some of the sessions to share in our documents section for those of us who are unable to attend this year.  I'll see what I can do.

Comments

Thanks Donna:  can't get there myself, but key staff are going, and I'll draw their attention to these sessions.  It would indeed be great to get content from them posted here.

Judith

Hi Donna and others,

I will be doing two technology-related presentations at the COABE conference in New Orleans.

Monday1:45 PM - 3:00 PM

21st Century Skills: Free Instructional Web Sites

We will look at and discuss how to use web sites that offer free, video-based instruction for adult learners, teachers and tutors in areas such as: technology (basic use of a computer and the web, and for finding information); math, science, and social studies; adult education professional development (ESOL/ESL, ABE, ASE/GED) and computer-assisted Instruction. We will also discuss how to incorporate free online video instruction into a curriculum. The session is intended for adult education teachers, technology coordinators, administrators, and professional development providers.

David J. Rosen, Ed.D, President, Newsome Associates, Jamaica Plain, MA

Wednesday 1:45 PM - 3:00 PM

Facilitation and Blended Learning for Digital Literacy: A Discussion of Key Issues and Future Directions in Digital Literacy

Programs are often challenged to serve adults with low digital literacy. This panel considers key issues in effectively serving them, focusing on tutor-facilitated and blended learning approaches. The panel will consider the experiences of diverse adult education providers who have implemented blended, tutor-facilitated digital literacy programs. Key issues will be discussed for reaching and serving different types of adult learners in several programmatic contexts: community-based organizations, adult education classrooms and career pathway systems. Audience members will be actively engaged in discussing the implications for their organizations, programs and communities.

Stephen Reder, PhD., Portland State University

David J.Rosen, Ed.D.,,President, Newsome Associates, Jamaica Plain, MA

Heide Spruck Wrigley, PhD, Senior Researcher, Literacywork International, Las Cruces, NM

Jon Engel, Austin TX