COABE 2019 - Math and Numeracy Presentations

Hello all,

In a few short days,  COABE 2019 will be starting!  If you are presenting at COABE on Mathematics and Numeracy, please post your information below so those members of the community may attend and support your presentation.

Perhaps a way to organize these postings in a helpful and accessible way would be to title your post with your Date, Time, and Title of Presentation.

I cannot wait to see you all at COABE 2019!

Brooke Istas
Math and Numeracy

Comments

Enhancing Learner Critical Thinking on the Use of Social Media: Numeracy Instructional Strategies

Primary Presenter: Brooke Istas, Cowley College Learn with LINCS, Session 9, Tuesday, April 2nd 4:00pm-5:00pm, Balcony N

This training will cover critical reasoning and problem-solving skills as well as instructional strategies for three aspects (platforms/sites, user profiles, and usage pros/cons) of social media that adult education practitioners can incorporate into instruction. Participants will utilize session resources to develop multi-level numeracy lessons. 

Primary Presenter: Brooke Istas, Cowley College Learn with LINCS, Session 13, Wednesday, April 3rd 2:30pm-3:30pm, Balcony N

Adult Numeracy Instruction-Professional Development (ANI) Adult Numeracy Instruction: Professional Development (ANI-PD) focuses on key instructional practices: connections among mathematical ideas; communication of mathematical thinking; mathematical proficiency; and an introduction of algebraic and geometric thinking along with basic skills. Come to this interactive session and participate in simple hands-on ANI activities to use in math instruction

Join us in the Rhythms 1 Room at the Sheraton New Orleans for this year's ANN Under 10.

This year’s speakers are:

• Abby Roza (MN) on having high expectations for adult basic education students

• Patricia Helmuth (NY) on taking the lid off the box and providing all students with high-level math tasks

• Stefanny Chaisson (LA) on her journey and technique for asking questions in her math class

• Christin Smith (KY) on making math viral, both inside and outside of our classrooms

ANN Under 10 is an evening of short talks brought to you by the Adult Numeracy Network (ANN). ANN Under 10 provides a platform for practitioners to address the field of adult numeracy and HSE math education. Each presenter will give a 5-10 minute talk and offer a specific call to action to improve our practice!

Even if you won't be at COABE, we will be live-tweeting each talk on Twitter - go to my Twitter feed at 5:30 (CDT)

We'll also post videos of each talk on the ANN website after COABE. Visit adultnumeracynetwork.org/under10/ now to watch the speakers from 2017 and 2018.

My partner Eric Appleton and I will be presenting this workshop as part of the Numeracy Strand in the Rhythms 1 Room in the Sheraton New Orleans.

Look up from this description and there is a good chance you will see examples of symmetry, transformations and congruence. These concepts give structure and style to the natural world and the world that humans create. And they are in the College and Career Readiness Standards! Rigid transformations can feel overly abstract to adult education teachers and students when it is taught just as random shapes moved on the coordinate place following certain rules. But maybe it doesn’t have to be like that. Geometry comes from people trying to make sense of the world around us. Let’s bring inquiry, joy and creativity to this very human endeavor. By rooting our studies of transformations in the world and in our aesthetic responses to it, it becomes a more meaningful topic. Join us as we venture into the branch of mathematics that unites tigers, Ms. Pac-Man, the Taj Mahal, flowers, Buzz Lightyear, and your nana's quilt.

My partner Eric Appleton and I are presenting this workshop as part of the Science Strand.

Density is an idea that is used to measure many different things. For example, how many people live in a place, the number of animals that can survive in the wild, and the weight of gold are all related to density. This workshop will explore how density can be taught in a way that scaffolds concepts from geometry and proportional reasoning, with contextualization in social studies and science. Participants will consider how to use the mathematical idea of area to understand population density and the idea of volume to understand the density of matter (volumetric density). Participants will receive access to extensive student study materials on population density, the density of matter, and 7 other high-emphasis topic areas on the high school equivalency exams under the College and Career Readiness Standards.