The Final Week of the Book Study
Submitted by Meryl Becker-Pr... on January 25, 2015 - 11:25am
- 5405 Views
- 0 Likes
- 12 Comments
Hi to all,
We have two more chapters left to cover during the week of January 26 - 30. Our conversation will be centered on Chapters 5: Extensive Academic Reading: Extending Opportunities and Support and Chapter 6: Sustained Silent Reading +: Dedicating Time for Independent Reading. For our discussion, I have included the general questions once again for your consideration.
In your post, be sure to indicate which question you are responding to.
Please remember that these questions are general and can be applied to any of the chapters.
- How did the ideas in this chapter speak to your experience as a teacher?
- What in this chapter particularly caught your attention? Cite a specific phrase, sentence or group of sentences that grabbed you and explain why.
- Were there ideas or sections in this chapter you had questions about? Anything you wanted to know more about?
Chapter 5: Extensive Academic Reading: Extending Opportunities and Support
After you read this chapter, what thoughts do you have about the trade-offs of “content coverage” versus supporting students to comprehend their reading in a more in-depth way?
- Write a response to the Classroom Close-Up 5.2 on page 141: what questions does this teacher’s experience and perspective raise for you? What (if anything) do you find valuable or useful in her reflections?
- What is your response to the idea of “textbooks as text sets” (pages 147-149)?
Chapter 6: Sustained Silent Reading+: Dedicating Time for Independent Reading
- Given the reality that adult educators and adult learners meet for such a short period of time, what are your thoughts about the possibilities of integrating Sustained Silent Reading into a class?
- What are some ways to support learners to read outside of class in addition or as an alternative to reading in class?
- What are some ideas for adult educators to build classroom libraries with materials for learners to borrow?