The first 2018 ANN Under 10 Talk is up and ready for comments!

Dear Heroes of Adult Education, 

At COABE 2018, the Adult Numeracy Network (ANN) sponsored the second ANN Under 10. If you are familiar with ShadowCon at NCTM, ANN Under 10 follows the same model but is by and for adult education. Once again, four math teachers shared their stories, each ending with a call-to-action. All four talks will be available on the ANN website in the coming weeks. To kick things off, and in honor of this year being the 25th anniversary of ANN, you can now watch the first talk of the evening - founding member and adult numeracy legend Donna Curry's call to action - I Guess I Don't Know As Much As I Thought I Did! 

Join the conversation!

yours in productive struggle, 

Mark

P.S. You can also check out the talks from 2017's first ever ANN Under 10 following the same link.

Comments

I was fortunate enough to participate in the ANI pilot in Georgia in 2010 and even more fortunate to have Donna Curry as the facilitator. She inspired me with her teaching techniques then and continues to do so today. This short talk is the epitome of what makes her a great teacher to us all but also an enormously important math practitioner blazing a trail each one of us likely is walking along at some point in our careers. My own instructional style has been informed by her dedication and passion for teaching beyond the test and emboldened to never settle for just offering a rule or procedure to a student. As Mark Trushkowsky says in his introduction of Donna and the impact she's had on adult numeracy, "Let that be said of me in however long it would take to accomplish." Thanks for raising the bar higher than most would ever dare to go, Donna.

Heidi

Dear Heroes of Adult Numeracy and HSE Math Instruction, 

The second 2018 #ANNunder10 talk has been posted! Hear Jeniah Jones (@JeniahsClass) from Florida on taking the time to figure out what non-math skills her math students needed in her talk "Mindful Meditation in Mathematics" - https://adultnumeracynetwork.org/2018/06/12/mindful-meditation-in-mathematics/ 

Watch Jeniah's talk and give her feedback in the Comments section under the video!

yours in productive struggle, 

Mark