Follow Up Questions on Using Graphic Organizers to Develop Academic Writing
Submitted by Leecy on November 18, 2018 - 5:32pm
- 124 Views
- 0 Likes
In October and November, we have held two Webinars and discussions relating to developing writing skills among adult native and non-native English speakers, led by Susan Finn-Miller and guest experts, Joy Peyton and and Kirsten Schaetzel. In addition to offering wonderful resources and suggestions on the topics, several questions were raised in those Webinars and discussions that deserve further attention, don't you agree?
This is a follow up on "Using Graphic Organizers to Develop Academic Writing" with Joy Peyton. Please reflect on the following questions that came up, and take a few minutes to contribute to our little learning community regarding your views and experience on one or all issues that were brought up. Let's talk more about this important topic!
Joy Peyton shared a number of highly effective ways to use graphic organizers and other visual tools to help adult learners develop academic writing skills. Following are questions that were posed and which deserve your attention and input as teachers and administrators in Adult Ed programs:
- What challenges do teachers face in trying to provide support and address these challenges [fears of failure and exposure]?
- What academic and professional writing are the learners in your classes engaged in?
- How do the learners in your classes feel about being and becoming writers of academic and professional texts?
- What supports do you or other individuals or sources provide to help them develop their writing?
- Do the supports that you use promote the types and levels of writing that they need to be able to do?
- What kinds of support do you provide for your students as they learn to write and develop as writers?
- What kinds of support do you need to be able to do this?
- What graphic organizers do you use with the learners in your classes? Do you find that they are helpful?
- What more would you like to know about possible graphic organizers and ways to use them?
- Are there graphic organizers that you know about that you would like to share with us?
Let's here from you now. What are your thoughts?
Stay tuned for more in December for the final webinar and discussion in our series on teaching academic writing. Please join us!
- Webinar: Friday, December 7 at 1:00 ET Writing as a Basis for Reading with Dr. Rebeca Fernandez
- Follow up discussion December 10 & 11) Leecy