How HSE Programs are Responding to the Difficulty of the GED® 2014 Exam

Colleagues,

I would like to start a new discussion thread specifically on how adult secondary education programs are responding to the low pass rate (many/most) ASE/HSE/GED® programs are experiencing as they send students whom they believe to be prepared, to take the GED2014® series exam.

• Some states have ramped up professional development for HSE teachers and some teachers are taking advantage of this
  • Some programs have added online and blended learning to increase learning time, often with an online curriculum that focuses on meeting the new, higher standards
  • Some programs, particularly those near borders of states that offer other HSE tests, are sending thir students across the border http://www.cortezjournal.com/article/20151206/NEWS01/151209905/Center-offering-alternative-to-GED
  • Some states are offering more than one alternative HSE exam. For example, I believe new Jersey offers all three, and Tennessee offers at least two.

Which of these strategies has your GED® prep program chosen? Have you found other strategies? If so, what?

If this is an issue that concerns you, join in. Ask your own questions. Offer your own strategies, or strategies you are thinking about. If you want to do so anonymously, email them to me and I will post them, although I encourage you to post your message yourself.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

David, thanks for posting this helpful list of alternatives.

I work closely with the Cortez, CO program described in the link you shared. The photo that led into the article was taken in our newly implemented STEM Prep Project, which provides instruction and experience in eight stations, each of which starts with a lab experiment, followed by reading, writing, and math modules that are matched to the terminology and skills introduced in the lab. We have two tracks: health and energy. The photo was taken in the health lab.

The Cortez, CO program had to find alternatives to helping student pass the GED since the number of students who were successful dropped from 46 down to one (!) in the years following the changes made in requirements. The program now has a van to take students into New Mexico, across the border, and is already showing far better results! Leecy

Hello Leecy,

As you probably already know, as of this week Colorado has joined several other states in offering all three HSE tests.This appears to be a trend.          

I guess there will be no more need for Coloradans to travel to New Mexico.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20151211/NEWS01/151219898/Colorado-OKs-more-paths-to-obtain-a-diploma

All the best,

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Yes, New Jersey does offer all 3 exams, but don't go hiring a bus if you live in a neighboring state. You must prove New Jersey residency to test here.                

Our students mostly take the TASC and do not do that much worse than before. Our biggest issue is fear of taking the test.  At the upper levels., we have upped our emphasis on algebra and science especially physics and chemistry. This is having the unintended side effect of scaring the students.

Jane, since NJ offers 3 exams, I can see why you don't need to cross the border. Interesting requirement to prove residency. I'm glad that isn't true in NM!

Fear of testing is absolutely a deterrent, as you mention. Should more be done to address that widespread fear in our programs? If so, what practices work best? Leecy