ICYMI: May Reflections and Looking Toward June 2019

Hi all,

It’s a gorgeous day in the Midwest today and I hope where you are, you have the same experience. This month we welcomed 5 new members. Below is a recap of everything we covered this month.

We began our month by exploring trauma-informed practices with guest experts Jeri Gue, Stephenie Rittberger, and Dr. Karen Oliver-Rider. We looked at a program implementing TIL in a corrections environment. What were your take-aways from this conversation? Were you able to apply any of the information to your professional world? What questions do you have? Chime in the conversation! 

Community member Sudie Whalen and Marian Thacher shared their expertise with professional learning communities in prisons. What questions do you have about learning circles?

The Corrections and Reentry community was also included in two discussions, Guides from the Open Door Collective which shared resources related to Greening U.S. Adult Basic Skills Efforts and Strengthening Public Health and the Healthcare Workforce. I invite you to check out these resources. Additionally, community member Ellen Baxt started a conversation on resources she developed which helps professionals guide students through career researchHave you checked out any of the resources shared? If so, what are your thoughts? What questions do you have for Ellen and the others who have engaged in the discussion? What resources can you add to the list? 

June will bring more discussions and I am seeking individuals who would like to share their expertise or ideas in a single day, informal discussion thread. If you have an idea to share, start a thread or let me know and we can work together. 

Regards, 
Kathy Tracey
@Kathy_Tracey