June 2019 Reading and Writing Community Summary

As we officially move into summer, there have been many informative discussions taking place in the Reading & Writing Community of Practice:

Allow Me to Introduce Myself!

In my first post as the moderator of this group I shared my experiences as an adult educator and my anticipation of learning much from members as you all share your expertise.

I shared this quote:  “I’m a very strong believer in listening and learning from others.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg

(192 Views, 1 Like, 2 Comments)

Power in Numbers Videos

These short videos of student success stories depict motivation, persistence, and overcoming doubt.  While the focus is on math, the message is universal.

(72 Views, 0 Likes, 0 Comments)

Journal Article: Linking Root Words and Derived Forms for Adult Struggling Readers: A Pilot Study

This discussion, which began in May, discussed the effects of morphological instruction on component literacy skills of adult struggling readers.  I encourage others to read this journal article to learn more about how to teach academic vocabulary.

(122 Views, 1 Like, 2 Comments)

Using Sentence Frames to Motivate Students to Write

This instructional strategy is useful for many of our students who are intimidated by writing long passages such as essays and papers. 

I shared this quote:  “You fail only if you stop writing.” – Ray Bradbury

(118 Views, 0 Likes, 1 Comment)

Paragraph Frames

In this follow-up to the Sentence Frames discussion, I posted a link to a free   Argument Writing Frames.  If you have additional sentence or paragraph frames, please share your resources.

I shared this quote:  "At its best, writing has helped transform the world.  Revolutions have been started by it.  Oppression has been toppled by it.  And it has enlightened the human condition."  - The National Commission on Writing

(73 Views, 0 Likes, 0 Comments)

Motivation

This discussion sparked quite a bit of  interest this month as it focused on how to motivate our adult students to write.  Several ideas were share:

• Maslov’s hierarchy of needs
  • Research done by Vicki Roberts
  • Using gas vouchers for incentives by Michelle
  • Focusing on employability skills such as emails by Rachel
  • Using text-related text messaging by David

(207 Views, 1 Like, 6 Comments)

Exploring Media Literacy for Adult Learners

This most-viewed thread shared over several communities was initiated by Michael Cruse, who announced that LINCS and The National Association for Media Literacy Education (NAMLE) are collaborating on a webinar and panel discussion later this year that will focus on media literacy for adult educators. I invite you to visit this discussion as there were many questions and comments related to this topic.

(477 Views, 2 Likes, 7 Comments)

PBS June Special on the need and benefit of adult basic skills

This discussion shared by David Rosen was also viewed over several communities.   In it, David shared the PBS News Hour Special, "Why 36 million American adults can’t read enough to work — and how to help them ."  Many of you viewed the eight-minute special and felt that it should be shared with anyone associated with adult education!

(311 Views, 0 Likes, 4 Comments)

Teaching Women to Write

In this post I shared a recent article in  Women's Perspectives.  In this issue, female students voiced, , “We DO have an important point of view. We ARE already making contributions to society, and they will become stronger with more education."

In response, Kathy Tracey shared her favorite book, I Couldn't Keep It To MySelf, Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Center. 

I have added this to my summer reading list!

I shared this quote:  "I want my students to be aware of how integral women's voices are to the human experience." – Deborah Shaw

(119 Views, 0 Likes, 4 Comments)

Learn Here About Learning Circles

In another discussion posted in several communities, David Rosen offers some questions and answers about learning circles.  I encourage you to take part in this discussion, as there is so much to learn!  Thank you, David for the invitation to learn about this topic!

(So far - 143 Views, 1 Like, 4 Comments)

As we move into July I look forward to continuing some of our discussions and beginning new ones.

Happy 4th of July!

Jeri