LINCS Online Science Course #2! Scientific Practices in Context: Planning and Lesson Development
Submitted by Susan K. Cowles on October 25, 2013 - 1:49pm
- 1542 Views
- 0 Likes
- 1 Comment
Please check out this new course. We'd love to hear from you as you go through the course!
We are excited to announce the launch of the second LINCS online course: Scientific Practices in Context: Curricular Planning and Lesson Development. This course is intended for instructors and practitioners in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and low Adult Secondary Education (ASE) programs. The course is available on the LINCS Learning Portal, along with free online courses from several other OVAE initiatives, in topics including Teaching English as a Second Language, Career Pathways, Learning to Achieve, and more.
Building on the first LINCS online course, Engaging Adult Learners in Science, which provided a rationale for teaching science in the ABE/ASE classroom, Scientific Practices in Context: Curricular Planning and Lesson Development provides an introduction to teaching science in context, and guidance on where teachers can find credible science resources. In addition, this course reviews the teaching and learning cycle, focusing on curriculum design including lesson planning and development within the context of an adult education science unit.
Throughout the course, you will explore a complete science unit with a series of lessons and participate in an activity to create a science lesson plan for use with your adult learners.
To join the LINCS Learning Portal and access its free online courses, follow the following steps:
1. Go to the log in page at: https://courses.lincs.ed.gov/.
2. Click the Create User / Sign up button in the Need to register? box. You will need to create a new account (separate from your LINCS Community account).
3. Complete the requested information to create your account. Check the box to accept the terms and conditions; and click Create an Account.
4. An email will be sent to you to confirm your email address. Click the link in your email to verify your email address and complete your account set up.
5. Within that email, click the Continue to LINCS Learning Online link and log in by entering your username (email address) and password.
We hope you enjoy this professional development opportunity and share it with your colleagues. Please use the Contact Us tab if you have any questions or concerns!