Models for Integrated Education and Training for adult ELLs under WIOA Sec. 243 ?

Hello All

I'm looking for information on a model for integrated education and training (IET)  for any / all levels of adult ELLs  that might meet the requirements of an Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) program under WIOA section 243. So far, the only suggestion I have is iBest.  

Is anyone currently doing IET  with adult ELLs that meets the definition under Sec. 243?  Does anyone have any suggestions on other models?

Thank you for any information you can share!

Susan in Virginia

Comments

Hello Susan, Thank you for posting this important question. I know many members are wondering about this. In my local program in Lancaster, PA, we offer both a pre-CNA class as well as a pre-LPN class. In our case, the pre-LPN class is not exclusive to language learners.

Let's hear from members who have taken steps to address integrated instruction and transition with ELLs. In addition to I-BEST, what other models are out there?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hello Susan and all, The National Skills Coalition posted this recent bog, "Ready to work: Seattle creates a new on-ramp for English learners," by Amanda Bergson-Shilcock about a new program in Seattle, WA, where they are attempting to address the needs for integrated English training. The blog highlights the importance of collaboration among different service providers in the city and discusses some of the lessons learned. It would be great to hear from our Seattle colleagues who can tell us more about this. 

To reiterate Susan's question, what other models are out there? What are the issues adult literacy education programs need to be considering as we move in the direction of integrated English training? What questions and concerns do members have about this?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP