New Tests for January, 2014

Now, What?

As we look toward the new year, let’s explore this question together.  How are all of the changes going to affect the materials and content that you currently use in your programs?

Meryl Becker-Prezocki

SME

Comments

You know how a snagged sweater will keep unravelling if you pull the loose thread?  Well, that is exactly what is happening as we examine the changes that we must consider for delivery of adult education classes in January.  There is Depth of Knowledge delivery, CCR standards, and the fact that content knowledge is required--these all change lesson plan development and how materials are reimagined.  I do not have all the solutions yet but these are the items that are on our planning plate before January.  One of the significant issues that we identified is that the test will likely be taken one section at a time.  Traditionally, we prepared students through a GED(r) class that encompassed all 5 sections.  That may not be the best delivery model for the new test preparation.  Students will want to concentrate on particular sections, pass and then move on to the next.  RLA can be coupled with Social Studies and Science and then there is math.  When staff size = 2, a mult-level, subject focused approach is quite a challenge.  As a staff, we have a plan of attack but I am sure that we will revise as we go.  I am interested in other challenges and solutions from the field.