Online Course: Principles of Second Language Teaching: Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction
Submitted by Jessie Stadd on June 21, 2013 - 9:02am
Groups: English Language Acquisition
- 54815 Views
- 1 Like
- 189 Comments
Use this discussion thread to share your comments on the ELL-U course, Principles of Second Language Teaching: Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction. Please share your thoughts on any of the following questions, or post a general comment or feedback on the course.
- Reflect on your current practices. What strategies, activities, or methods are you already using related to each of the topics below? What could be added to your practice?
- creating learning objectives based on learners' communicative needs
- using authentic materials
- sequencing communicative activities that integrate skills and build from more highly structured to more open-ended tasks
- assessing objectives
- creating opportunities for learners to get to know each other
- using classroom routines
- using topics that are relevant to students' lives and goals
- using thoughtful grouping strategies
- What methods do you use for getting to know your students and/or helping them to get to know each other?
- Share the lesson plan, learner-centered practices, and/or classroom management strategies you developed through the culminating activity.
- Reflect on what you learned in the course. How has the course helped you to better plan your instruction to meet the needs of the adult ELLs in your classroom? Which of the topics discussed in the course do you feel you will be able to integrate into your teaching to be more effective in meeting the needs of your learners?