Online Course: The Role of Culture in the Education of Adult English Language Learners
Submitted by Dorjan Chaney on July 15, 2013 - 1:50pm
- 76989 Views
- 7 Likes
- 240 Comments
Use this discussion thread to post your response to the question below from the ELL-U online course, The Role of Culture in the Education of Adult English Language Learners. Please share your comments to any of the questions below, or post general comments or your feedback on the course.
- What strategies, activities, or methods have you used as a culturally competent teacher? What have you observed in other teachers?
- What did you discover about your own assumptions? How has going through the DIE stages helped you see new perspectives? What challenges did you experience and how did you overcome them? Were any of the stages more difficult than others? How can you use the DIE inquiry strategy to address cultural assumptions and cultural dilemmas that arise in classrooms with adult ELLs?
- Share your thoughts around which items shown below would be designated “big C” and “little c”. Which items might be debatable as to their designation? Why?
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- Star Wars by George Lucas
- a McDonald’s® menu
- Jeremy Lin
- a Groupon voucher
- Betsy Ross’ flag
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Great Depression
- a bus ticket
- a Coke® can
- The White House
- Culture plays a critical role in teaching and learning. How has the content in this course helped you better understand your own cultural investments, perspectives, and values? What are some strategies you will use to facilitate a culturally inclusive learning environment and facilitating (cross) cultural understanding among all members of the class?