#TexBEST15 Twitter Town Halls on Career Pathways 8/11-13, 2015
Submitted by JackieTaylor on July 30, 2015 - 5:54pm
- 1976 Views
- 2 Likes
- 2 Comments
Dear PD, Career Pathways, and Technology Colleagues,
Given the recent discussions on using social media for professional development, I wanted to share this opportunity with you that I am fortunate to be a part of. It would be great if many of us could join these Twitter conversations and experience Twitter as a learning tool, esp. if you haven't used Twitter yet. I welcome your questions or comments, and I'd like to hear about your experiences using Twitter as PD after the events.
The Tex-BEST Workforce Literacy Summit is conducting Twitter Town Halls August 11-13, in conjunction with each of its key sessions featuring national and regional leaders. You’re invited to join via Twitter, raise questions, contribute to the conversations, and help shape the future of career pathways in Texas.
Tex-BEST would like to hear from you and other career pathways professionals so that participants may benefit from your experiences.
- Follow #TexBEST15 and add it to your tweets.
- Follow @Tex_BEST for the official Q and A on Twitter.
- Let your social networks know you are live tweeting from these events.
- Don’t have an account? Sign up for Twitter here. There are many short clips on YouTube about how to tweet. And if/as you have questions feel free to post them below or email me direct (firstname.lastname@example.org).
**All Times Are Central Time**
Twitter Town Hall and Live-Tweet Schedule:
Tuesday, August 11:
- 1:45 – 3:00 pm CT: Participatory Discussion, Facilitated by Dr. Gloria Mwase, Director, Jobs for the Future, and Jeff Carter, Executive Director, National Adult Education Professional Development Consortium
Wednesday, August 12
- 9:15 - 11:00 am CT: National WIOA Panel with the U.S. Departments of Education, Labor, and Health and Human Services
- Dr. Johan Uvin, Acting Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education
- Leon McCowan, Regional VI Regional Administrator, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families
- Nick Lalpuis, Regional Administrator, U.S. Department of Labor, Employment & Training Administration
Facilitated By: Marty Finsterbusch, Executive Director, VALUEUSA
- 12:00 – 12:30 pm CT: Keynote Address with Acting Assistant Secretary Johan Uvin
Thursday, August 13
- 9:00 – 10:30 am CT: Community Colleges Presidents’ Panel
- Dr. Jud Hicks, Frank Fhillips College
- Dr. Russell Lowery Hart, Amarillo College
- Dr. Robert Riza, Clarendon College
Facilitated By: Dr. Gloria Mwase, Director, Jobs for the Future
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm CT: Roundtable Work Sessions and Report Out Discussions
Here are a few ideas for participating that could involve students and staff (Thank you to Regina Suitt from Pima Community College for the suggestions):
- Hold a social media training in your class or lab using a YouTube video about how to tweet and use Twitter professionally. You may also find PowerPoint trainings on SlideShare.
- Hold a teacher gathering during a Town Hall and follow the action live. Project the #TexBEST15 thread or @Tex_BEST Twitter profile. Someone could bring snacks.
- Gather questions ahead of time and send them to the social media experts at your center to ask a question for you or for your class.
- If you teach a class during the time a Twitter Town Hall is being held, think about participating in the Town Hall as a class. Again, snacks are good.
- Get your centers and students excited about this opportunity; it is a chance to ask questions and provide feedback about adult education and career pathways.
Please let me know if you and/or teachers and students will be participating from your program. I hope to see you on Twitter!
Jackie Taylor, Moderator
Evidence-based Practice COP
On Twitter: @jataylor10