Welcome to Health Literacy at COABE 2016!

Dear Colleagues:

Greetings and welcome to the Health Literacy Community of Practice!  This discussion strand will be used to connect us to the COABE/TALAE National Conference in Dallas, Texas.  If you are attending and find things of interest to the group, please post. And, don't forget to visit the LINCS exhibit table.  If you would like to hear more about one of the health literacy related sessions, please let us know and we will try to attend the session or connect with the presenter.

More to follow.

Cynthia Zafft

Comments

Dear Colleagues:

Greetings from COABE!  I hope you will have an opportunity to stop by the LINCS table in the exhibit hall.  I will be there several times during the conference and look forward to meeting you and hearing from you.  Times include:

• Monday, April 11, from 12-3:15 pm
  • Wednesday, Apr 13, from 12:15-2 pm
  • Several other times, schedule permitting (please send an email if you are trying to find me, czafft@worlded.org)

I will also be doing a session on Tuesday, Apr 12, from 9:30-10:45 am (during Session 4, Majestic 9, Level 37):  LINCS Health Literacy Resources and More.

This interactive workshop includes a discussion of the new, broader scope of health literacy -- how it fits with teaching language and literacy skills and how to integrate it into your ABE/ESOL curriculum. We will explore a variety of free online health literacy resources that participants can use in the classroom or to help train teachers, build community awareness, or form partnerships with local health agencies. Participants are welcome (encouraged) to bring their portable internet devices.

Let me know if you are here.  Stop by the LINCS table and the session.

Cynthia

Dear Colleagues:

One clear "health literacy" connection at COABE was the connection between literacy, health literacy, and healthcare career pathways.  As a beginning step in healthcare careers, many adults begin as certified nurses aides (CNAs).  I want to alert practitioners to an upcoming webinar that might help their students.  I love those flashcards but there is so, so much more we can do.  I hope you can make time for:

Event Title: A Mobile Tech Revolution in Low-Wage Work: Partnering with Employers to Build Workers’ Digital Literacy
Event Type: LINCS Community Webinar and Discussion
Date(s): April 25-28, 2016

On April 25 from 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM ET, a webinar featuring guest speakers from mobile learning design, English language teaching, and workforce development domains will share information and answer questions about how the mobile technology revolution is making digital literacy and online learning necessary, even in low-skill service jobs. The webinar will highlight employer and organized labor partnerships on career advancement and learning basic skills through the use of mobile devices in online learning. Register for the webinar at:https://msg.adobeconnect.com/e646fuikh77/event/registration.html

A panel discussion with mobile learning software developers, and organized labor-sponsored programs that help workers use mobile devices for learning or training, will be held on April 26-28. The conversation will address topics such as the kinds of devices used for mobile learning; advantages and disadvantages of feature phones, smart phones, tablets, e-readers, laptops and other portable digital devices; and challenges and solutions regarding access. The discussion will also include models of implementation across various types of workers, and work environments, including case studies from panelists.

Bring your questions and comments!

The webinar kicks off April 25, followed by a series of discussions on April 26-28 in the LINCS Career PathwaysProgram Management andTechnology and Learning groups. See you there!

Cynthia Zafft

Health Literacy Moderator