Student Insurance Stories

Hi Everyone,

As you may know, March 31 was the end of the enrollment period to sign up for health insurance. This was the time for people who did not have health insurance to sign up for some. This is a new requirement of all citizens under the Affordable Care Act, so many people who are very new to the idea of having health insurance have just signed up. We are trying to learn from people's experiences enrolling in health insurance, and trying to figure out how to use it.

So we are collecting stories! I am asking teachers to please ask around in your classes, and see if you can get some students to tell or write up a story about an experience related to the new Affordable Care Act or signing up for insurance. Or you could share a story about an interaction you have had, either in class or in your own.

Here are some examples from people who work in health care. We can only imagine how much worse it is for people who struggle with literacy, or who are just learning English.

I am a health care reform activist failure. 25 years of advocacy, years of just trying to help explain what our current law means. ...I worked with a grateful disability community to understand the ACA... I spoke to groups. I attended citizen advocacy events. I organized professional webinars focusing on health literacy and the ACA. I felt pretty good. I was helping communicate complex information to consumers and professionals.

Then, I tried to get an uninsured relative to sign-up on Healthcare.gov. I learned from her that the government would "plant a chip in you" and it would be "too expensive" no matter what! I did research on health plan options in her community, offered advice, offered to pay for the first month's premium myself! But I lived in another state and had to just watch the enrollment deadline get closer, then pass. I helped a lot of motivated disabled people in my own state. But I don't feel triumphant because I was unable to communicate the benefits to one uninsured family member. 

Here's another:

The fully adult mechanical engineer with a significant health history...has been very negative about “Obamacare”.   Recently he was mystified but delighted to see his premiums and copays plummet. He made no connection to Obamacare or the ACA. 

Please share your own story, or some from your students! These stories can be powerful and useful.

Thanks,

Julie