August 2014: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
July was a busy month for the College and Career Standards group! It is not too late to catch up and add to all the discussions and announcements you may have missed from the previous month. The following is a recap of the group’s activities.
New and Ongoing Discussions
- Getting Up to Speed with College and Career Ready Standards: The standards currently focus on ELA and Math. What is your state doing to help teachers get up to speed with the standards? Do practitioners also need a deeper understanding of science, history, and social studies content as well? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/getting-speed-college-and-career-ready-standards
- The Common Core and Formative Assessment: Watch how technology is used to assess student learning and give the instructor instant feedback in this 2-minute video from the Teaching Channel: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/common-core-and-formative-assessment
- CCRS & ESL: Colleagues share efforts in preparing adult ESL teachers to work with the CCRS standards: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/ccrs-esl
- Ticket Out the Door: How many people use “Tickets out the Door” to formatively assess students’ learning at the end of class? Share your use of exit tickets to guide your lesson planning: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/ticket-out-door
- More Than $100 Million Pledged for My Brother’s Keeper: The White House has announced new commitments totaling more than $100 million in support of My Brother's Keeper, an initiative launched in February to expand opportunity and improve life outcomes for boys and young men of color: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/more-100-million-pledged-my-brother%E2%80%99s-keeper-initiative
- ED and DOL Discussion on WIOA Legislation: The President signed WIOA into law on July 22, 2014. Read more about WIOA in the media: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/ed-and-dol-discussion-wioa-legislation
- Competency-Based Programs: Will competency-based education see a revival in adult basic education? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/competency-based-programs
- Student Assignments and Standards: Are you aware of any protocols/methods that matches student work to the demands of the standards? Share them here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/student-assignments-and-standards
- CEA Virtual Platform and Tablets: CEA has signed a multi-year agreement with JPay and Union Supply to provide secure education tablets and a virtual school platform for all prisons, jails, and juvenile facilities: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/cea-virtual-platform-and-tablets
- Vocabulary in Math Instruction and Peer Feedback: Stanford University has developed an Understanding Language website. Read more about it here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/vocabulary-math-instruction-peer-feedback
- News from the Center for the Study of Adult: The Center for the Study of Adult Literacy has created a library of web-based texts collected for adult learners. This library includes over 1,500 different materials for learners to read categorized by level of difficulty. Find out more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/news-center-study-adult-literacy-2
- Teaching and Assessing Academic Vocabulary: Susan Finn Miller shares an approach to teaching and assessing academic vocabulary and invites colleagues to join the conversation by sharing their questions and ideas about the topic: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/teaching-and-assessing-academic-vocabulary
- College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education – Let’s Talk about Mathematical Practices: Dig deeper into the eight mathematical practices with other math educators in this discussion. Learn how other practitioners are teaching these practices in their classroom: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/college-and-career-readiness-standards-adult-education-lets-talk-about-mathematical
- A Component of the Common Core: Complex Texts: Meryl Becker-Prezocki shares a video from the Teaching Channel that shows highlights from a unit on Revolution, Reaction, and Reform, and illustrates specific ways to expand student’s thinking: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/component-common-core-complex-texts
- Why Do You Teach? This summer, spend some time reflecting on why you teach. A couple of LINCS Community SMEs have shared their story of how they began in adult education. We welcome you to share yours! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/why-do-you-teach
New Group Bulletins
Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Take Action Now! Merged LINCS Accounts Coming Soon: LINCS is merging its two log in processes for the LINCS Community and the LINCS Learning Portal on August 4. Moving forward, LINCS members will be able to use a single set of account credentials to log into both sites. Learn more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/take-action-now-merged-lincs-accounts-coming-soon
- [Join Us]: LINCS Correctional Education: The LINCS Community Correctional Education group kicked off their special two-week discussion about incorporating new and emerging technologies into their correctional classrooms on July 28. Join the conversation: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/join-us-lincs-correctional-education-discussion-starts-today
- WIOA Signed Into Law: On July 22, 2014, President Obama signed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. This act reauthorizes the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) with several major revisions. Read more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/wioa-signed-law
- Hot Topic This Week: Adult Citizenship Education: The LINCS Community in collaboration with the USCIS Office of Citizenship hosted a weeklong discussion on July 7-11 to discuss adult citizenship education and resources designed to help adult learners prepare for the naturalization interview and test. The discussion is still available in the LINCS Community: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/hot-topic-week-adult-citizenship-education.
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team