January: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Happy New Year to the College and Career Standards group members! We hope that the holidays were restful and relaxing, and a time for reflection and personal and professional goal setting for the new year. The LINCS Community Team is looking forward to the rich discussion around standards implementation in states and programs across the country this year. We know you are all doing great work and look forward to more learning and sharing among group members in 2014.
If you haven’t done so already, jump back into the group by introducing yourself to others in the group welcome thread: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0.
New and Ongoing Discussions
- Getting Students College and Career Ready: As a continuation of last year’s discussion on what states are doing to get students college and career ready, a group member asks: Why are habits “noncognitive”? How are skills and habits categorized as cognitive or noncognitive? Share your thoughts with others in the group here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/getting-students-college-and-career-ready
- 2014, Reflect Back and Look Ahead: College and Career Standards group subject matter expert, Meryl Becker-Prezocki, reflects on the past year and looks forward to 2014. Catch up on the most active threads and share your thoughts about topics you’d like to see discussed in the group this year: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/2014-reflect-back-and-look-ahead
- New Tests for January 2014: As we look toward the new year, let’s explore this question together. How are all of the changes going to affect the materials and content that you currently use in your programs? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/new-tests-january-2014
There are no new group bulletins. Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
- CCR Standards Institute: Save the Date: The Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for adult education staff at both the state and local levels to receive hands-on training at the upcoming College and Career Readiness (CCR) Standards for Adult Education: Implementation Institute. To find out more about these two-day institutes, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/ccr-standards-institute-save-date
- Why Skills Matter in Your Community: On November 20, 2013, OVAE launched an engagement process that will result in a National Action Plan for improving the skills of low-skilled adults, a part of the U.S. Department of Education’s response to the U.S. performance on the PIAAC Survey of Adult Skills. Find out more about the tools available for you to coordinate a regional or local roundtable on the topic of adult skills here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/why-skills-matter-your-community
- LINCS is Counting Down to 2014! LINCS counted down to the new year by highlighted a LINCS resource every week day in December on social media: Twitter (@LINCS_ED) and LinkedIn (LINCS_ED group). In case you missed it, here is the complete list of resources highlighted: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/lincs-counting-down-2014
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team