March 2014: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Welcome to the newly updated LINCS Community! We hope that the upgrades and new features will make the user experience more enjoyable than ever to participate in discussions, polls, and activities. For a first look at some of the new features, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/check-out-upgrades-lincs-community. This month, the LINCS team will continue to inform members about how to use specific features in the community. Until then, feel free to explore the site, update your member profile, and “like” posts from your colleagues!
New and Ongoing Discussions
- Learning Targets: Is anyone using learning targets with adult education students? How do you use them and how are students responding to them? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/learning-targets
- Guest Discussion – Teaching Strategies: Easing the Pathway for All Adult Learners to Develop Competence in the Classroom and Beyond: The Disabilities in Adult Education group hosted a guest discussion with Laura Digalbo for correctional educators and adult educators and literacy practitioners in general to learn about strategies to use when teaching adults with disabilities. Read the discussion here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/guest-discussion-teaching-strategies-easing-pathway-all-adult-learners-develop-competence
- 11 Things to Love about the Common Core Standards: Jacqui Murray, a prolific K-12 technology blogger shared her list of 11 things she loves about the Common Core. Do you agree with her list? What would you add to it? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/11-things-love-about-common-core-standards
- Getting Students College and Career Ready: Join in on the discussion about what states are doing to get students college and career ready: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/getting-students-college-and-career-ready
New Group Bulletins
There are no new group bulletins this month. Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Check Out the Upgrades in the LINCS Community: The LINCS team is excited to debut upgrades to the LINCS Community this month! For a preliminary list of new features, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/check-out-upgrades-lincs-community
- Additional Space Available in Tech Tools Webinar Series: In celebration of Digital Learning Day, LINCS has partnered with the Literacy Assistance Center in New York City (LACNYC) to bring you a series of 30-minute webinars on how to use technology tools in education. Follow-up discussions to these webinars are hosted in the Technology and Learning group. Learn more here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/additional-space-available-tech-tools-webinar-series
- Time to Reskill: A Practitioner Webinar Rescheduled: Join the U.S. Department of Education, American Institutes for Research, and adult education advocates for a webinar on Thursday, March 13, from 1:00pm-3:00pm ET for a briefing of the Time for the U.S. to Reskill? PIAAC report and a focused discussion about the issues facing adult education. For information on how to register for this webinar, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/time-reskill-practitioner-webinar-rescheduled
- Archived LINCS Community Training Webinar Available: In honor of Digital Learning Day, we’re pleased to announce that the archived video of December’s LINCS Community User Training webinar is available on the LINCS YouTube Channel (LincsEd).https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/archived-lincs-community-training-webinar-available
- LINCS at Upcoming Conferences: The LINCS team will present several sessions at a number of upcoming spring conferences. Presentations will range from content-specific sessions to overview presentations on the LINCS Resource Collection and LINCS Community. We hope to see your friendly faces in the crowd at these events. For a list of conferences with a LINCS presence, visit:https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/lincs-upcoming-conferences
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team