May 2014: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
May 5-9 is Teacher Appreciation Week! Join the LINCS Community in celebrating our teachers. Introduce yourself in the College and Career Standards group and update your LINCS Community member profile so that others can know who you are and celebrate the wonderful work you do day in and day out with our adult learners.
New and Ongoing Discussions
- The Most Debatable Topic in Adult Education: The Evidence-based Professional Development group is hosting a debate this summer on a select topic in adult education. Members are encouraged to provide your input on what you consider to be the most debatable topic in adult education here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/most-debatable-topic-adult-education
- Making a Case for Good Attendance: From one educator to another, how do you have conversations with students to make the case for good attendance? Are there tools you use to increase student persistence in class? Share your practices with colleagues in this thread: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/making-case-good-attendance
- Watching Teaching in Action: During the month of April, the College and Career Standards group hosted a two and a half week activity: Watching Teaching in Action. Through a series of videos from the Teaching Channel, group members watched how teachers are implementing standards in their classroom. Videos focused on instructional strategies for the math (Week 1), writing (Week 2), and reading (Week 3) classroom. Guest educators from Kentucky joined in on the discussion to share their thoughts and experiences.
- *NEW* EMPOWER Series Lessons: Access a free sample of new lessons in the EMPOWER series. These lessons are available to supplement the published series and are intended to follow the lesson sequence in Using Benchmarks: Fractions, Decimals, and Percents. For more information: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/new-empower-series-lessons
- 2014 GED vs TABE Score Correlations: A member asks where to find TABE and GED correlation tables. View the conversation and member responses to the inquiry here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/2014-ged-vs-tabe-score-correlations
- Career Opportunities: LaGuardia Community College in New York City is hiring a Lead Trainer/Manager position within its College and Career Pathways Institute (CCPI). For more information about this job posting, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/career-opportunities
- 2014 GED Accommodations: A member seeks information to what accommodations are and are not allowed on the 2014 GED. Chime in here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/2014-ged-accommodations
- Student-Generated Questions About Texts: Having students write their own questions about what they are reading can be a great way to start meaningful, textually rich discussions. Watch this video to observe how one teacher models how this is done: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/student-generated-questions-about-texts
New Group Bulletins
There are no new group bulletins this month. Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Use-After-Free Vulnerability: A major security issue has been discovered with all versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) with IE versions 6 through 11 affected. To find out more about this vulnerability, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/microsoft-internet-explorer-use-after-free-vulnerability
- May 1 Webinar: RFI for Career Pathways Systems: The U.S. Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Labor recently announced the release of a Request for Information (RFI) to support the development of high-quality career pathways systems. The comment period is open for this RFI. There is a webinar on May 1 from 2-3:15 pm ET. For more information: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/may-1-webinar-rfi-career-pathways-systems
- Performance Partnership Pilots (P3) Webinar Today, April 30: On April 30, the U.S. Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Labor, the Corporation for National and Community Services, and the Office of Management and Budget hosted a question and answer session on Performance Partnership Pilots (P3). For more information: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/performance-partnership-pilots-p3-webinar-today-april-30
- New Feature: Group Quick Links: Learn more about the new group quick links feature on the LINCS Community: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/new-feature-group-quick-links
- Low-Cost Digital Literacy Resources for Adult Learners: OCTAE is working to help adult education practitioners and adult learners find solutions to the key challenges of the digital divide. Read more about low-cost Internet service and device offers along with ways to get involved: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/low-cost-digital-literacy-resources-adult-learners
- LINCS System – Heartbleed Update: A significant vulnerability was discovered with the technologies used to secure (and encrypt) data transfer across the internet. Sites such as Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Facebook, Tumblr, GoDaddy, Dropbox, and many others have been impacted. Find out how you can protect your online accounts from the Heartbleed vulnerability: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/lincs-systems-heartbleed-update
- New Feature: Polls: Learn more about the new polling feature on the LINCS Community: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/new-feature-polls
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team