Week September 30, 2013: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Happy Connected Educator Month!
October is Connected Educator Month (CEM)! As a member of the LINCS Community, you are already a connected educator! In celebration of the U.S. Department of Education sponsored CEM, the Technology and Learning group is hosting a month long discussion that provides a platform for community members to share what they have learned from the 240+ events hosted by CEM throughout the month of October. Visit this discussion thread in the Technology and Learning group here to get started: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/connected-educator-month-adult-education-connection.
We hope that you will join in on sharing what you’ve learned!
Take Action This Month. Invite a Colleague!
Take action to celebrate CEM and help your colleagues get connected to the LINCS Community. On the right hand side of the main groups page (https://community.lincs.ed.gov/groups) is an “Invite a colleague” section. Enter their email address to send them an invitation to get connected to this network of adult education practitioners. Send out an invitation today!
- Spotlight on Quality - *Featured Resource: Adult College Completion Toolkit*: The Postsecondary Completion group highlighted the Adult College Completion Toolkit resource in celebration of National Adult and Family Literacy (NAEFL) week. This thread focuses on quality. What does “quality” mean for adult education programs aiming to prepare students for success in postsecondary education? Share your thoughts here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/spotlight-quality-featured-resource-adult-college-completion-toolkit
- Take the Literacy Week Challenge! For NAEFL week, World Education, Inc. created fun mini-quizzes on topics in adult education. These topics include: Family Literacy, GED, and Citizenship. Take a moment this week to test your knowledge here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/take-literacy-week-challenge
- Discuss With Us! NAEFL Week Featured College and Career Readiness Resource – In celebration of NAEFL week, the College and Career Standards group featured a recently published resource from the LINCS Resource Collection: The College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education. What are you doing to implement these standards in your state, program, or classroom? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/discuss-us-nael-week-featured-college-and-career-readiness-resource
- Is Starting College and Not Finishing Really That Bad? The Hamilton Project at The Brookings Institute recently published a study Is Starting College and Not Finishing Really That Bad? Read the study and share your thoughts here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/starting-college-and-not-finishing-really-bad
- CCR standards and English Language Learners – How are you using the College and Career Readiness Standards for English Language Learners in your state/organization? If you have other standards in place, how will you approach integrating these? Will you? And if you do not have other standards in place, are you considering using these for your ESL population? How? Share your thoughts in this thread: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/ccr-standards-and-english-language-learners
There are no new group bulletins. Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Happy Connected Educator Month– Join the Events! October is Connected Educator Month, find out about how you sign up to receive updates about CEM events, contests, and resources, and participate in the events: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/happy-connected-educator-month%E2%80%94join-events
- Register Now! LINCS Community User Training – In honor of Connected Educator Month, Kratos Learning is hosting a live LINCS Community User Training on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 from 2-3pm Eastern. This webinar is a great opportunity to talk directly to the LINCS Community team and ask any questions you may have about the community’s purpose and features! For information on how to register for this webinar, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/register-now-lincs-community-user-training
- National Adult Education and Family Literacy (NAEFL) Week Resource Discussions – In celebration of NAEFL week, select groups in the LINCS Community participated in a coordinated effort to highlight key resources in the LINCS Resource Collection. We encourage group members to continue the conversation beyond September. To access the archived discussions about these resources, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/national-adult-education-and-family-literacy-week-resource-discussions-start-today
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team