Queen of Katwe

Literacy, Basic Skills, and Cultural Diversity Colleagues,

I recommend the new film, Queen of Katwe, the true story of a Ugandan girl who discovers she has a talent for playing chess. A well-made film with some great actors, among them Lupita Nyong’o, David Oyelowo, and Madina Nalwanga, it is about children in Katwe, a neighborhood of Kampala, struggling to rise out of poverty. It focuses on one girl, Phiona Mutesi, and her chess mentor, Robert Katende, who offers her coaching, literacy and education opportunities. It is also about the obstacles that those in poverty, and their families, face in improving their living conditions. It's a reminder of the importance of providing opportunities for all children, and their parents, to read and write and to get good schooling and adult basic skills --  not only for themselves, but for their communities, countries, and the world.

Many adult learners would like this film, might identify with Phiona's struggles, and perhaps would then want to read the biography of Phiona Mutesi, The Queen of Katwe: A Story of Life, Chess, and One Extraordinary Girl's Dream of Becoming a Grandmaster, by Tim Crothers. Some might also identify with the struggles of Phiona's young mother, Harriet Nakku, played brilliantly by Lupita Nyong’o.

Teachers may appreciate Robert Katende's focus on planning and strategy, and the similarities between chess strategy and the kinds of planning and strategy needed to earn a high school equivalency certificate, as well as the kinds of strategic thinking skills one needs for success in college, work or a career.

Eventually Queen of Katwe should be available for home purchase or rental, and then perhaps some teachers could show it or recommend it to their students. The theme, captured simply in an early scene in the film when one of the child chess players who is teaching Phiona the rules of the game says, "a pawn can become a queen" may inspire some adult learners and their children.

I hope you have a chance to see the film in theaters now, or later at home.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Thanks for this recommendation, David. I heard an NPR interview with the two leads, Madina Nalwanga and Lupita Nyong'o, a few days ago, which --in itself was inspiring. I very much look forward to seeing this film.  Here's a photo story from NPR that might also be useful in class, Photos, They're All Kings and Queens of Katwe.

It would be wonderful to use this film and/or the book in class. I'm wondering what other films members could recommend to use in class? Please share how you've used movies with adult learners.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP