Chapter 3: "building relationships and norms for classroom collaboration"

The idea that I like of encouraging writing and conservation about self.  Not only does this activity encourage participation in the class but can provide samples of the learners writing. There are many learners who have not developed the confidence to talk in the classroom, but encouraging active listening shows the person talking and the teacher that "you are interested and paying attention"- what a wonderful skill for everyone to develop!

Comments

The most powerful line I have read in this book is on page 76, "By asking students to learn something new, we are, in effect, asking them to become someone new. For many students, the sense of fixed identities ("I'm not a reader," "I'm not a good student," or "I don't have that kind of brain") is a powerful barrier to learning."  These lines bring specific students to mind. I can also recall when the student starting believing that they could learn, learning happened. The attitude of the learner did effect how quickly some learners learn. The teacher does have a powerful role of encouraging learning and in helping the learner to believe that he/she can learn.

Lynne, I do so agree the teacher does have a powerful role to encourage learning and to help learners believe that all things are possible. We, as educators, know that all students can learn; it is the size of the learning set and the pace of the instruction that will allow for each learner to progress.  Thinking of the impact a teacher has on the learner, I also value this quote from page 139:  "When classrooms are places where teachers do things FOR students or TO Students, Teachers are doing all of the intellectual work.  When classrooms become places where teachers do things WITH students, the intellectual culture of the classroom shifts, and students have a purpose for investing in learning."

So it is up to the teachers to choose the learning set, the pace of the instruction and provide learning activities with students in order to shift the intellectual culture to focus on the student.  It is at that time that students begin to invest in their own learning.  

Georgiana, Thank you for sharing this quote. These words reiterate a theme that reverberates throughout this text, i.e., teachers need to structure opportunities for students to dig deeper with one another (and the teacher, too!) and not explain everything. In other words, we serve as co-learners and facilitators rather than the one who has all the answers or the dispenser of knowledge.  If we take this concept seriously, it requires that many of us change the way we design our lessons as well as how we interact with adult learners. I include myself!

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP

I loved that part in the book as well and jotted "growth mindset" in the margin.  So often I keep returning to that idea, especially in reading this book.  I always try to communicate high expectations for my students, but I wish I could incorporate more explicit growth mindset activities.  I think it can be beneficial to talk to students about brains and learning right away, and how goals and positive attitudes can be so beneficial.  Still these are not things that I have done with my students.  It is true that some success (a chance to really learn) needs to be given in order for students to be able to begin to change their thinking about themselves and their ability.  Thank you for sharing this quote!