Chapter 8: #19 - The Knowledge-Building Dimension: Surfacing and Building Schema in the Disciplines

Hello All,

I have used KWL! I would like to try out LINK. I selected LINK because I think it provides practice for student’s writing and allows students to share as well as examine themselves. It will provide me with insight to what I need to provide them. I like that it promotes class discussion among students. I like that they can refer back to this list. It reminds of me a really informative and creative approach to note taking. Many students do not know how to take notes well or create good notes, but LINK prompts questions that outlines specific answers to refer back to later regarding the covered material.  

Holly

Comments

Hi to all,

Like Holly, I have frequently used KWL with students.  I have never tried LINK and hope that I can soon.  I did want to share that in the past, I have had students make a list and had great success with that.  I found that lists were especially successful for students that labored over writing.  If they were at all hesitant about their sentences or paragraphs, they excelled with making a list that consisted only of words or phrases.  I believe that the Inquire, Note and Know can be done as a class or within smaller groups.  I see a lot of possibilities for this.  What do you think?

Meryl, SME