Reading Apprenticeship Chapter Three

Today I introduced the concept of a reading Apprenticeship Classroom Community to my low level readers. I wasn't sure how they would react to having to share on the second day of class, but it went well. I began the discussion by asking the class to write about what they know about reading. Some of their answers were: Reading is everywhere, reading is a part of life, reading is essential, reading has many layers etc. As each student shared, I made sure that we all faced the person speaking. After each comment, I followed by asking the class if they agreed or disagreed with the speaker's viewpoint. Many of the students shared their personal stories of how low reading abilities had affected their lives. I believe this sharing normalized their individual experiences and will foster a supportive group effort in the continuing process of acquiring stronger reading skills. 

Comments

This sounds like it went well.  Its not always easy to get students to open up and share, especially on the second day, but I think beginning with that expectation and the openness will benefit your class.  Did you lead up to this discussion or follow it with any explanation of the RA model? What did that look like? 

Hi Jennette,

I began the discussion as the end part of my introduction to the Reading Class and the concepts we would cover. I wanted to find out what thoughts the students had about reading and what experiences with reading they were bringing to the class. I also wanted the students to hear what they themselves were saying about reading and to understand how acknowledging our past experiences or basis can free us or keep us from making progress. I did not tell them about RA as I did not want to convey the idea that I was trying an experiment on them. I wanted the class to understand that we are following a process which will enhance their classroom  reading experience and will hopefully continue outside of the class.

Grayla, Good for you for jumping right in with RA with your new class. It sounds like this activity went very well, which is sure to help with establishing classroom norms from now on. We'll look forward to hearing more as your class progresses.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP

I love that...I'm curious though, how is your classroom structured? Do you sit at tables all facing the front or do you have a round table? I just moved to a new classroom where tables, big long tables, were put in the middle of the room. Then all along the walls are computer stations. It's quite cramped and I am not used to it. I'm struggling to find a better way to arrange the room. It sounds like your lesson went well. I'd really like to connect to the students, but more than that, I'd like them to connect with each other.

Hi Barbara,

I do not have a class at this time but want to share my thoughts with you.  In the past I discovered that it is extremely important for all students to be able to see one another.  I keep that factor in mind when I would come up with the furniture arrangement.  Or even better, ask your students to make a plan of an arrangement that they would like to try!

Meryl, SME

Hi Barbara,

I also have a small classroom with long tables that I can not rearrange as the room is shared with other instructors. What I found helpful in this chapter was the suggestion that the teacher move from the front of the class so not to be the focus. I moved to the side  of the room and sat in a chair to become part of the group, not the leader. When I turned to face the speaker most of the students did the same. I believe this modeled facing the speaker for them.

Barbara, This strategy would be easy to implement. Thank you!

In my experience, students often direct their comments to the teacher instead of to their classmates. This is something I have been working to change. I was in a training once in which the trainer insisted that when we are speaking we should direct our comments to the center of the room, in other words to the whole group, not to the trainer. I've been trying to implement a similar approach in my class. To ensure everyone is listening, after one student speaks, I will often ask another person to repeat what that student said in his or her own words. I also sometimes ask questions about what was said, e.g., Who agrees with what Elena said? Who has a different idea? Who can tell us more about this? etc.

Some of these ideas come from learning about Accountable Talk®, which is very much in line with the ideas in our book. This work on "talk moves" comes out of the Institute for Learning at the University of Pittsburgh. Some of you may be interested to check it out. You can listen to podcasts at this link as well as download a sourcebook.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP