The crisis in adult ESL for Immigrants and the role of technology and NGOs

I am sure by now everyone knows that there is a crisis in adult education, particularly in funding.

At the same time, particularly in the field of ESL, there is a crisis in the kind of programs offered to meet the needs of the students, especially immigrants.

Below are several articles that relate to the crisis and its solutions.

In my view, in order to approach the solution to the various problems, it is necessary to integrate technology much more into all programs and classes, For immigrants we also need to offer classes in their Home Language Literacy and bilingual ESL classes as a transition to the normally accepted English Only class.

Also, sincere efforts should be made to establish cooperation between community colleges and Community Based Organizations. The reports on Chicago and Philadelphia show how it can be done.

We should likewise be actively seeking alternative funding, from non-governmental grants to sponsoring fundraising events, such a concerts.

My online course, PUMAROSA, has now become a program of the STARFALL EDUCATION FOUNDATION, a 501C(3) and I will be seeking grants in collaboration with various adult education centers. 

References:

Comments