Mobile devices in Nonformal Adult Education classes

By now technology should be a part of every adult education class one way or another. I would like to present the case for the use of mobile devices – iPads, Tablets, and mobile phones - as part of the class, particularly along with using WhatsApp.

Since February I have been conducting ESL mobile classes and I am very pleased with the process and the results.

WhatsApp is a very popular Chat service that allows people to text chat instantly with anyone anywhere. Plus you can add audio recordings and website addresses, and you can call people on the phone.

My Mobile Classes consist of lessons with students on several WhatsApp groups, who study lessons on my other sites.

I created three Study Circles on my WhatsApp, with about 40 students in each.

Most of my students are from Latin American countries, although a few from other countries joined an intermediate group.

Primarily they all study my lessons on PUMAROSA.COM, Wiki Spaces for Teachers, Facebook and my other website, inglesconprofepablo.com. My lessons consist of text, audio and video via YouTube.

On Facebook I have created various groups with lessons:

Songs to learn English

Lecturas - Readings

Pronunciation-Fluency 

PUMAROSA 

Conversations in English, usually grammar

To access the posts in these Facebook groups people need to request membership, and now there are about 3000 members. The original WhatsApp students came from these members. 

Also, on Facebook people can chat with text, phone or video.

I also put lessons on Wiki Spaces for Teachers.

And, now I can use Google Hangouts.

In summary, I consider mobile devices to be an integral part of an adult class, especially in nonformal, community based centers. If you would like more information, please email me.

Paul

Pumarosa21@yahoo.com