Week 4 Math Task

Complete the Highlighting Mathematical Connections activity on p261. Share your questions, thoughts, sketches, process, mistakes, or solutions in the discussion board.

Comments

I was seeing this assignment more as a ratio activity because part of the instructions were to show the fractions as similar triangles. So, I used Geometry Pad for iPad that Boaler recommends on page 206 to create similar triangles. I couldn't figure out how to make fractions using that app, but what I did do what create area models using the same ratios and color coded them the same. 

Then, I downloaded another app recommended by Boaler on page 53 to represent the ratios, Number Rack, and again I am seeing the fractions as ratios. What I noticed about these fractions, represented as ratios, is that it could bridge nicely into a discussion on exponential growth.

Lastly, I decided to find a way to represent the values as equivalent fractions, so I downloaded a random app, Fractions - by Brainingcamp, but wasn’t really happy with that because I couldn’t get more than 2 equivalent fractions on the same page and I couldn't figure out a way to change the colors of the bar graphs. So, I made up 3 pie charts (all on one page) in Google Slides that are the more traditional looking representations of all three fraction equivalents, color coded, of course!

You can check out all the different representations in a Google Folder, side-by-side for comparison, located here.