Week 5: Wrap up Question #2 What other questions do you have...?

What other questions do you have about developing Mathematical Mindsets in yourself and in your students?

Comments

There are so many great ideas in this book that can definitely be adapted to adult education, but frankly, we don't have the time to develop a growth mindset in some of the ways it is described in this book. For example, in Chapter 7 Boaler talks about Railside teachers spending the first 10 weeks of school focusing on teaching students how to develop group norms, positive ways of interacting with each other in math class, and teaching students to be responsible for each other's learning.

While some adult ed programs do have semesters with closed enrollment (and waiting lists), many programs, like mine, have open enrollment. When you have a student base that is constantly changing, how do you communicate this important concept of respectful and productive group work at the pace of: ready, set, go?

This part of the book spoke to me because I do believe strongly in group work and purposefully create activities that encourage or require either working in pairs or groups. I've seen so many positive results for students when they share ideas and work together (MP3), but wondering how best to tackle the new student's angst when he or she realizes that the expectation in my class is that they will work in groups (when the student may feel inferior, mathematically speaking, due to past negative experiences).