DEI Resolutions

The transition from one calendar year to the next inspires many people to reflect on what they have accomplished in their personal and professional lives, and to look toward what they hope to accomplish in the year to come.  This is a perfect opportunity to reflect on what we can each personally do to increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in our spheres of influence.  Truly, if DEIA initiatives are to continue to be priorities in adult education, each adult education professional has to contribute in some way.  Here are some sample resolutions that we can make. Which of these resolutions feels achievable for you?  

1. Read an article about a component of DEI that I don't feel knowledgeable about yet.  
  2. Participate in one LINCS Discussion thread per month in the DEI group.
  3. Attend 4 LINCS DEI events in 2023.
  4. Survey students to get a sense of the cultures represented in my class, and look for ways to increase representation in our curriculum and instruction.
  5. Look for instructional content (passages, poetries, diaries) written by members of underrepresented populations.
  6. Invite students to help me design learning units that are more inclusive of their perspectives.
  7. Advocate for professional development around DEI in my workplace.
  8. Examine the ways that I have privilege, and find a way to use my privilege to benefit someone who does not have that privilege.
  9. Post hiring opportunities in new publications (or with new talent recruitment agencies), and create diverse search committees to increase the diversity of staff, board members, and volunteers.
  10. Commit to speaking out when offensive jokes are shared, or offensive language is used, rather than remain silent.

Which one of these will you try in 2023? 

Comments

Hello Carmine and all, This is a wonderful list! I can commit to several of these, in particular #1, #8 and #10. I especially appreciate #5, and think it would be amazing if our community could share some of the resources we find and/or have used. We could then archive these resources for the field.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition Group

I would love to have some type of library of resources so that educators don't have to be solely responsible for finding tools and resources.  

Happy New Year!  One of my goals for the year is to become an expert on how difficulties with executive function manifest in individuals (can differ greatly, I know) and strategies to recommend for students who experience barriers to academic success because of these difficulties.