Introduction

Hello and Welcome!  My name is Carmine, and I thrilled to introduce myself as the moderator for the LINCS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Discussion Group.  I have worked in adult literacy education since the spring of 2006, and I truly believe that this work is why I am on this planet. I have worked as an adult literacy instructor and parent educator in a family literacy program, as an instructor and coordinator of the ABLE program for a community college, as the Vice President of Programming at a CBO, and I have tutored beginning adult readers.  I was certified as a diversity trainer in 2001, and I am so excited that we are having these conversations in adult literacy education.  I have done professional development and consulting for adult literacy educators since 2007.  I have taught at the graduate and undergraduate levels in Curriculum and Foundations and Adult Learning and Development.  My dissertation work was focused on teacher preparation and professional development in adult literacy education because I am passionate about supporting adult literacy educators.  My biggest joy in literacy is helping beginning adult readers- it is the most rewarding work ever. 

I am looking forward to engaging with each of you, learning from one another, and growing together around this very important topic.  I have soooo many ideas, but I would love to hear some of yours.  What would you like to discuss?  What questions do you have?  Are there particular subtopics that you think have been ignored?  Let's chat!  

Comments

Welcome aboard Carmine! I look forward to working together.  I would love to add discussions on access. Should  diversity, equity, and inclusion also include conversations about access?  In our local program areas, does our focus on DEI improve access to services for potentially marginalized populations?

Looking forward to the discussions! 

Kathy Tracey

I just recently joined so am not sure what your current discussion topic might be. I was wondering if anyone is addressing the situation in Colorado with the shooting at the night club. How can the average citizen help spread information about the LGBTQI community in a positive manner?

Dan, You are joining at just the right time!  This group is just getting started, and this first post was to learn what people want to discuss.  I will say that I am both saddened and angered by the shooting at the club in Colorado Springs, and by the senseless loss of 5 lives.  I think the average citizen can choose to be an ally or an accomplice in this moment, and I think there are several options for each of those roles.  An ally is someone who is willing to stand in support of marginalized voices.  Accomplices are  willing to stand in support of marginalized voices, but are also willing to assume personal risk to do so.  Allies and accomplices can begin by being clear that hate has no place in the physical and virtual spaces we occupy.  We can share that we support the LGBTQIA+ community in our conversations and posts. We can use people's preferred pronouns, and defend people's right to choose their preferred pronoun. We can speak about this story in a positive way- perhaps highlighting that it was good that there was a space where people felt comfortable just being themselves, and focusing on the ways the LBTQIA+ community is coming together to support the victims and their families.  We will definitely discuss more about this topic in the months to come, but I offer these few ideas here for others who may be looking or a way to respond.  

Hi Carmine and colleagues-   

I just joined the group today and am pleased to be here. My career in adult education has spanned 2.5 decades now and I love this work, students and all the potential we have to help people find and follow new paths for themselves. I have been serving on our EDI council at our campus for over a year but have always worked for equity in all of my positions.  I don't mean to be "way out" there, but I believe that in order for our earth and species to survive, EDI is at the core of our evolution. If we don't all learn how to work together with the intellectual integrity necessary for success, well let's just say things may not go well for our progeny.   On a more tangible scale- One thing that I have been conscious of and am trying to problem solve is the lack of equity that immigrants find when they come to the US holding advanced degrees or certification from their own country. They get here and then find out that they need to go back to the starting block and earn a GED, and then return to college to re-train in their subject area. I feel that we need some type of national organization that could verify the education a person has received, and honor it. 

There are so many topics in this area- I look forward to reading some rich discussions. 

Lori Lundine

Rogue Community College ABS department chair

Thank you for your response.  I just did a focus group with some local students and that was definitely a recurring theme in our conversation.   This may be a great opportunity for this DEI discussion group and the ESOL group to work together.  Stay tuned. 

Welcome to you, Carmine! And welcome to all the new members of this invaluable LINCS community! As the moderator for the LINCS English Language Acquisition (ELA) community I am well aware of so very many overlapping concerns for our field between this new group and the ELA group. I'm looking forward to what we have to share with and learn from one another!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Hi, Carmine

I have no current requests, but I am excited to join this discussion and hope to discover DEI resources to share with our local staff.

I am sharing this event that I am planning to attend, and I hope that some of you will join me.  It is focused on DEI and accessibility applications for workforce boards, but I am certain there will be takeaways for those of us in adult education, particularly since adult literacy is so critical to workforce development.  

DEIA - What's the Buzz and How Do We Start? (A VIRTUAL EVENT) 

Tuesday, December 20, 2022 1:00 PM ~ 2:00 PM ET

Here is the link to register; a description follows: https://www.workforcegps.org/events/2022/11/21/18/51/DEIA-Whats-the-Buzz-and-How-Do-We-Start

This webinar will introduce workforce entities to the importance of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility (DEIA), including how to start taking actions.  Panelists will highlight innovative DEIA strategies from local workforce boards or entities. Learning objectives include:

• Introduction to DEIA challenges and opportunities in an equitable economic recovery
  • Resources available and Initial steps to take in addressing DEIA challenges in your area
  • Peer examples of innovative DEIA strategies
  • Information regarding upcoming related DEIA webinars

There will also be 3-4 polls to gauge if the audience already has specific DEIA policies in place, if they conduct DEIA training, and to assess top DEIA priorities that workforce entities most need information on.

MODERATOR(S)

Renata Adjibodou – Acting Regional Administrator, Employment and Training Administration (ETA)

PRESENTER(S)

Sheba Rivera – Director, Third Sector
Chelsea Haley – Manager, Third Sector
Dennis Williamson - Director of Workforce Development, Western Arkansas Planning & Development
Mireya Reith, Director of Arkansas United, Arkansas United

Hello Carmine, I am excited that through your leadership and facilitation, we will delve broadly and deeply into the topics of DEI and its importance and impact. Thanks for opening the discussion to topics of interest. Could we discuss the issue of representation within adult education and literacy classrooms, organizations, and among the executive decision makers? What impact does this make upon the access, retention, and outcomes of the adult learners?