Let's Talk Identity

I am very excited about this first event for the DEI group where we will explore the concept of identity.  We will revisit the concepts of personal identity and social identity, and examine the ways that our identities can affect our roles as adult literacy practitioners.  I wonder if any of my colleagues in the field (you) think that exploring identity is important in adult literacy?  Have students' social identities ever come up in class?  Do you hear students grapple with understanding who they are and how that matters in different contexts?  

Comments

To bring racial equity into the adult education classroom, it is essential to first engage in a process of critical reflection around identity. As such, exploring identity is a valueable activity for adult educators.One effective strategy for achieving this is to integrate discussions of racial identify, discrimination and inequity into the curriculum, and to actively seek out and incorporate ideas and content from diverse perspectives. 

Additionally, it is important to utilize Trauma-Informed Practices in order to avoid curricular violence and to be mindful of the cultural norms and experiences of students of all identities. This can include collecting data to better understand where racial inequity may exist within educational programs, and using this information to inform programmatic decisions and actions.

Hi Maribel,

Tallulah LA has  a population of less than 6000.  There are extremely few career opportunities for the students,  and drugs and violence abound.   There is no way to ignore the hurt and profound grief this area is suffering.  Trauma is real. 

The juggling act is keeping it real and relevant and striving to make connections that assist the students moving toward their goals.  Above all hope and confidence must be shared will everyone.  We are all in this together.

Thanks,

Faye