NEW LINCS VIDEO: Contextualizing Civics for the Workplace

Contextualizing Civics for the Workplace (released 2023-03-29)
https://youtu.be/GdweHJEDEhA
https://youtu.be/K5R7IgiA3jQ (video with 508 Audio Description)
This video, sponsored by the EARN Project, showcases how Montgomery College, in Maryland, contextualizes civics content in Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) activities to prepare learners for Integrated Education and Training (IET).

Two sequences in this video really speak to the critical component of Civics Education in IELCE activities.

(min 0:50-1:59) (with 508 descriptions: 2:14-3:41)

We really focus on trying to incorporate civics integration that's connected to a specific content area.
So, for example, my students, they want to become pharmacy technicians. This is a pharmacy technician class and how does civics integration specifically impact the civics engagement and social behavior of a pharmacy technician?  

I like to think about the idea of civics more in terms of empowerment.  So giving students a better understanding of how to operate in the societal systems around them.  Culture is a huge part of that, and I think culture gets woven into pretty much everything.  So, you know, if the task is get information from customers or patients, then they have to do it in a culturally appropriate way or a workplace appropriate way.  They have to do it without asking questions that violate someone's rights, for example. 

The goal is for the students to feel that they have a good understanding of their rights and responsibilities in the workplace with the health care system or with pharmacy in particular.

(min 3:23-4:14) (with 508 descriptions: 7:03-8:09)

"My advice to other curriculum developers would be to try a backwards design approach and focus on the end goal.  So think about what students need to be able to do to get the job and to be successful on the job to keep the job.  Really focus on the industry content area first and then think about what language flows out of that, what language needs flow out of that.  You know, break that down into different components as needed and then also think about the civics and the cultural aspects and the rights and responsibilities that all flow out of that actual performance on the job.  I think understanding your place in a society is is really important.  And by introducing a civics component in an ESOL classroom, students are really able to start to learn where they fit."

Kudos to the EARN Project and Montgomery College to their excellent demonstration of civics education in an IET program!