Here is a quick list of resources rom our 8/23 event: Coffee Talk: Teaching U.S. Citizenship Preparation.
Please respond to the discussion questions in the comments. Thanks!
- Have you identified any civics literacy gaps and resources you used to address these gaps?
- Do you have any favorite Civics or Citizenship resources not mentioned here?
- On the first class day, introduce USCIS.gov to the students. Focus on Case Processing Times | N-400 Early Filing Calculator | File Online. Return regularly to the Tools page to introduce more self-service tools and updates. Students annotate their copy of the USCIS Online Tools Flyer
- Civics Questions | Lesson Plans and Program Management | Teacher Trainings
- A More Perfect Union: The USCIS Civics Test Guide to the Monuments and Memorials on the National Mall (13 pdfs)
- The Families Learning Civics Together Toolkit (includes pdfs of family games)
- Naturalization Test Redesign Development 2022 (note: see my Report Back: 7/19 DHS Ombudsman Engagement about Test Redesign)
Social Media and “The Torch” App (note: 3rd part apps mine user data)
- New videos:
- Multi-Language Naturalization Process Presentations playlist
- Civics Questions Playlist
- How-to playlist
Free Online Courses
- MN Literacy Citizenship Kit
- Preparing for the Oath (one video for every question)
- USA Hello Citizenship (can be navigated in student's L1)
- USA Learns Citizenship (major UPDATE 09/06/2023 includes new listening and Applying or Naturalization Online activities)
- Ventures Arcade Citizenship (good for class warm up activities)
Other Helpful Websites
- CitizenshipNews.us Latest News edited by Lynne Weintraub (Register for 8/31 Coffee Talk with Lynne Weintraub: Libraries, Literacy, Civics, and Citizenship.)
- CLINICLegal.org Translations of Civics Quesions | Miguel's Naturalization Interview
- Consumer.FTC.gov Fotonovelas English | Spanish | see “Notario Scams”
- DOJ EOIR list of Pro Bono aid
- ILRC.org N-400 translations
- LINCS Civics/Citizenship PD Guide
- uscitizenpod N-400 practice pdfs | resource padlet
- VOANews.com US Immigration News
- VOA Learning English US History