Bilingual universities in the US

Hello colleagues, Jennifer Gagliardi, LINCS moderator for the Civics Ed and Citizenship group just posted a recent article, "Soothing the Path for Immigrants to Finish Their College Degrees," in the LINCS Career Pathways group. I wanted to share it here, as well. In this Hechinger Report article, author Olivia Sanchez describes a new online program at Davenport University called Casa Latina that plans to offer bilingual degrees (Spanish/English) in various academic areas beginning in the fall of this year. 

This new program at Davenport is similar to another bilingual university program I've been familiar with for some time, Ana G. Mendez University (AGMU), which started in Puerto Rico and also has campuses in three locations in Florida. Online classes are also available at AGMU.  At Casa Latina and AGMU, classes are held in English one week and in Spanish the next. 

These bilingual universities could open the door  of opportunity for many Spanish-speaking adult learners in our programs. I can share one wonderful success story. One of my former students, a medical doctor from Cuba, found her way to Ana G. Mendez University and completed a Nurse Practitioner program. She now works as a Nurse Practitioner in the Miami area. 

If you have success stories to share, please do!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition Group