Hello colleagues, We had an amazing session with Nan Frydland yesterday. I want to thank Nan for offering profound guidance on approaching our work in culturally responsive ways, particularly with low-level learners who may have limited formal schooling -- and doing so remotely.
Nan shared DeCapua and Marshall's Mutually Adaptive Learning Paradigm®, including a valuable checklist that can be used to plan instruction. You can find this checklist and some of the other information Nan shared at this link.
Nan also included a list of print resources that she has drawn from to address the needs of the learners she has been teaching. Some teachers may be interested in checking out these resources.
- Eye On Literacy Ltd. www.eyeonliteracy.com
- Grass Roots Press www.grassrootsbooks.net
- Learning for Justice https://www.learningforjustice.org/
- Literacy Minnesota https://www.literacymn.org/
- New Readers Press https://www.newreaderspress.com/
- Rethinking Schools https://rethinkingschools.org/
Members, please feel free to add questions or comments related to Nan's session and tell us about your experiences teaching beginners remotely.
Cheers, Susan Finn Miller
Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP