Saying "Goodbye" to 2021! What stands out to you?

Hello colleagues, The close of a new year is often a time for reflection. As you reflect on 2021, what stands out to you?

For me, 2021 required a continuation of the remote instruction that started in 2020. Although I still had a lot to learn, I discovered that I actually loved teaching remotely. Since I was teaching advanced English learners, my learning curve wasn't as great with technology as it was for those of you who teach lower-level learners. 

We surveyed students in the spring of 2021, and all but one of them said they preferred to continue class remotely. They clearly valued the digital skills they were building in our online classroom. Plus they were glad to have the extra time saved by not having to travel to and from class. 

I have often said that enhancing technology skills --for both teachers and learners-- continues to be the silver lining of the pandemic. Our awareness of the importance of digital skills has been raised exponentially. One thing I know for sure is that we will continue to integrate technology in meaningful ways whether we are teaching remotely or in person. My hope is that we will continue to address the lack of access to technology to ensure every learner has what he/she needs to develop and enhance their digital literacy skills.

You are invited to share your reflections on 2021.

Have a wonderful holiday and a happy new year!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP