An Approach that Works: Problem–Based Learning (LIVE)

-

Live Session:  An Approach that Works: Problem–Based Learning

DescriptionJoin us to learn how problem-based learning provides learners an opportunity to utilize problem-solving within the relevant context of skill-building, including working in teams, oral and written communication, self-awareness and evaluation of group processes, working independently, critical thinking and analysis, explaining concepts, self-directed learning, and applying course content to real-world examples.

Date/Time: Friday, October 29, 2021, 2:00 to 3:00pm ET (live session)

LINCS Community Group: Professional Development

Online registration is required to participate in the LINCS Event for An Approach that Works: Problem–Based Learning.

Comments

I am excited about this. I  have been learning about TBLT ( Task-Based Language Teaching); I wonder if the two concepts are similar. 

Hi Elaine!

Task-based learning and instruction is very much a part of the PBL approach-- learners conduct tasks on their way to addressing the problem they identify or the one that is posed to them. Task-based learning and instruction is often undertaken within a single-lesson while both PBL and PjBL (project-based) may encompass a unit of instruction.  TBLT is very much about learners collaborating to complete a task--and that task might well be a problem--but chances are when TBLT is the focus learners are being presented with a brief scenario to address in their teams without some of the additional elements that PBL involves and the focus also shifts to how they went about completing the task. I look forward to sharing the PBL approach with you so that you have the opportunity to make you own connections between the two. Warmly, Jayme