More and more institutions are in the process of replacing textbooks with OER (Open Educational Resources). One college where I teach requires all developer to eliminate textbooks from new courses. Why? The main reason is to help more students be able to afford to take courses. Reports of huge savings to students are increasingly promising in that respect. The links below are just the tip of our LINCS iceberg relating to OER. Enjoy and return to tell us more about your experience. Let’s OER!
Check out the links below for more information:
- https://search.usa.gov/search?query=OER&op=Search&affiliate=lincs – Short and sweet fact sheet.
- https://lincs.ed.gov/programs/oerstem - This is a very informative publication that also lists the LINCS courses relating to OER and links to earlier activities related to OER.
- Let's Share OER! – This is a direct link to last year’s discussion on OER
- OER:Open Pedagogy - Link to another discussion late last year.
- ·Open Educational Resources (OER) for English Language Instruction – Great resources/links for ESL instruction!
- ·Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Training Curriculum ... Open Educational Resources (OER) for English Language Instruction; Preparing English Learners for Work and Career Pathways
LINCS offers both self-paced and facilitated courses on the topic. Complete a course and let us know what you think. Let’s talk more OER!
- Open Your Classroom with OER (self-paced, 3.5 hours)
Adult education teachers are introduced to a wide variety of OER and gain a thorough understanding of how to identify, search for, and evaluate these free materials to use in their teaching practice.
- Build A Lesson With OER (self-paced, 3.5 hours)
With this self-paced tutorial, teachers with experience in the Moodle Learning Management System environment will learn to develop a comprehensive online lesson aligned to the WIPPEA lesson plan model using OER to deliver instruction.
- Open Science: Open Resources – Engage Learners for 21st Century Skills (facilitated)
This course helps science teachers find quality OER for the adult education classroom, evaluate them for instructional use, and assess their effectiveness in meeting their learning objectives. The course also provides teachers with ideas and resources for instructional strategies to engage adult students in learning science.
- Open Math: Open Resources – Engage Learners for 21st Century Skills (facilitated)
This course helps math teachers find quality OER for the adult education classroom, evaluate them for instructional use, and assess their effectiveness in meeting their learning objectives. The course also provides teachers with ideas and resources.